cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set rule so that only admins can add members to a specific card

Jorge Álvarez July 28, 2022

Hi Trello community,

I am trying to accomplish something fairly simple at first glance. In our
workspace, there are several members in our team collaborating on the board.
I am the 'admin' and all other members have 'member' permission. 

I am looking to do the following: only I can add or remove members from
cards, so nobody else in the team can edit the members assigned to a
specific card.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

1 answer

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2022

Hi @Jorge Álvarez ! Welcome to the community :) for the moment, Trello doesn't offer much customization around user-level permissions; board members have the ability to edit most elements on a board and it's not currently possible to remove the ability to edit a specific card field. 

One workaround could be to use butler automation to revert changes that users make to card members.

E.g. a command that triggers when a member is removed from a card:

when someone is removed from a card by anyone except me, add member @{matchedusername} to the card

and another command that triggers when a member is added to a card:

when someone is added to a card by anyone except me, remove member @{matchedusername} from the card

You may also want to add another action to alert the user, e.g. "and post comment "@{username} FYI you don't have the ability to remove members from cards!""

Jorge Álvarez September 12, 2022

Hello Hannah,

Thank you so much for the detailed response. Your answer makes a lot of sense and I think will work for us.

However, when trying to implement them, I don't seem to be able to get them to work - what am I doing wrong here?

Thank you in advance.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

@Jorge Álvarez it looks like the image is broken - are you able to try upload again? 

Jorge Álvarez September 19, 2022

Hi Hannah, sorry for that.

Maybe now it's correctly uploaded.

Thank you in advance.unnamed.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2022

@Jorge Álvarez looks like you've used the wrong trigger - it should be "when someone is removed" not "when @someone is removed". The latter will be trying to find a user called "@someone".

butler trigger.PNG

Jorge Álvarez September 27, 2022

That did work! Thank you so much @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events