Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Butler Email without Trello Ads

Jörg Grabinski July 21, 2022

We are using Trello to coordinate our support. I am trying to send a message to an email address contained in a custom field (the sender of the message). This works nicely. But the generated message contains a lot of "trello marketing garbage" that distracts from my message (see below). Is is possible to remove or reduce this? I am using a butler command like so:

join the card, subscribe to the card, and send an email notification to "{{%EMail}}" with subject "We have received your Incident Report" and message "My Text"

Jörg (Paid Trello account!)

Möchten Sie die Details erfahren? Wechseln Sie zu Trello

My Text 

Diese E-Mail-Benachrichtigung wurde in Butler von Jörg Grabinski eingerichtet. Sie haben sich nicht für diese E-Mail registriert? Klicken Sie hier, um sich abzumelden und E-Mails von @jorggrabinski zu blockieren.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2022

@Jörg Grabinski 

my first thought would be to use a third party smtp services or you own DIY smtp via http request. This way it is part of the Trello automation and you can send Trello variables including the report variables across. I made one for my client. Planning to make it more customisable for other users. 

@milynnus : thank you for the quick response. This sounds like a possible solution. Could you provide an example or help?

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2022

@Jörg Grabinski 

The reality is that if are not wanting native Trello automation then @Brittany Joiner  suggestions or mine would involve a third party software. 
There are smtp solutions that you can use http request to send your email. One of them that I had looked at is CloudMailin. it does require you to have your own domain. 

I wrote my own because I wanted a asynchronous process so that background task does not hold up the response to Trello automation. The smtp keeps the clients mail credentials and setup in a secured database and allows you to have your own html template for your email.

It is not a commercial product but one I had to built for a long time client and now I make it more customisable. 

Jörg Grabinski July 22, 2022

@milynnus : we have a domain and smtp. But how can I use our smtp from Trello? I can't find any description or example. Is your solution available?

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2022

@Jörg Grabinski 

In Trello automation you can invoke a http request to a third party service (it is under “Other”). If your smtp provider allows you to call it’s services via api then you can use that. One example is CloudMailin. 

As I mentioned I have just completed the migration of the smtp user credentials and setup to a database. This smtp service runs as a microservice as a background tasks using FASTAPI. Presently, it is used for my clients. The database setup and creating jinjia2 template is manual.

If you like to see it in action, I can demonstrate to you via  zoom. My profile has my contact details. 

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2022

@Jörg Grabinski 

The is an example of an smtp called from within Trello Automation. You can see that you can specify the user SMTP credentials to use, the email template, feed the email via the payload using custom fields and or any variables.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.23.41 PM.jpg

Like Jörg Grabinski likes this
Jörg Grabinski July 27, 2022

Thanks a lot. I will share this with my developers.

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2022

Similar to what @milynnus i would recommend hooking up Zapier with Trello and Gmail and trying to send email through something like that. You can access pretty much the same triggers in Zapier and have complete control over the email you send from Gmail (i think Outlook is also an option, probably other email clients if Gmail isn't your client)

@Brittany Joiner : thanks for your thoughts. I am looking for a simple solution, don't like the idea of hooking two other systems together with Trello. Is there any chance that Atlassian Trello provides a flag to disable these headers and footers for paying customers? Or make them customizable?

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2022

@Jörg Grabinski not that i know of, but that actually might be a nice "Enterprise" feature to be able to white label emails from Butler

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events