Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for multiple labels in Trello

Tracey Reid April 14, 2020

I use Trello for recipes and have used the labels to record key ingredients.  I thought I would be able to search for recipes that include, for example, chicken and olives.  When I enter multiple labels in the search I see all recipes that include chicken and olives but also those that include just chicken or just olives and teh search results aren't ranked.  What I'm looking for is a way of searching that says must include chicken AND must include olives. Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2020

@Tracey Reid there are two things in Trello that are called "Search". One of them used to be called "Filtering" which I think was better terminology, and that's this one where you search cards in one board:

https://help.trello.com/article/787-filtering-search-cards-on-a-board

Then there's searching for cards using the search field in the top left, which has the ability to search all your boards:

https://help.trello.com/article/808-searching-for-cards-all-boards

In the former, filtering one, you see the cards that match your filter displayed on the board you're looking at in the "board view", but the filters are "inclusive or" queries. Meaning that they match things that contain Label A or Label B or both.

The latter shows your results in a list, rather than a board, but you have more options and multiple matches use a logical "AND" meaning that if you include 2 labels, it will be both Label A and Label B. You can also prefix any search modifier with a minus sign (-) to negate that term.

You can constrain the search results to show only those cards on a given board that are not archived so it's *almost* like being able to search cards on a board, however they're displayed in a list, rather than a board layout.

Tracey Reid April 14, 2020

Thanks Iain.  That's perfect!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events