It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Restrict user from creating and/or moving a list

Hi

Hoping for some community help here with a few questions so that I can better utilize Trello as a support board for our clients.

Please advise if this is possible.

1. Don't allow users to create lists

2. Don't allow users to move lists

Essentially, whats happening right now is....

We create a well structured board with several lists. But then over time, the client, whom we add to the board as a user, starts to add new lists, moves them etc etc, pretty soon it becomes convoluted.

Many Thanks

James

2 answers

Business class observer 

Hi Ryan

I don't want them to just observe, I want them to be able to create and move cards. I just want to stop them creating and moving lists. Is that possible with business class?

Thanks, James

It does not allow them to create cards. I am was looking for the same exact thing. I do web design. My clients are the most tech savvy so they constant change settings on the board, archived things they shouldn’t. So observer permissions didn’t work for me either. Surprised there aren’t more features available to limit guest. I just wanted them to be able to add cards to the list, comment, and upload...

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Jan 27, 2019

@James Noon @Ryan Barilla you can protect against inadvertent moves using the API. For example, when a list is moved by a user not on a pre-approved list, detect the move with a webhook and then move it back. When a card is archived, unarchive it, when a list is created, archive it, and so on.

You can use Trellinator to create these types of commands -- the code will be inside Google Drive and will be inaccessible to the clients. You can also use the global command groups feature to have the same behaviour installed on a subset of all boards:

https://trello.com/integrations/#trellinator

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,611 views 15 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you