cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reciprocal card linking

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2017

Is it possible to create a reciprocal link between two Trello cards? Currently, I only see the option to create a one-way link.

For example, let's say I have Card A. Then, I create Card B. Card B and Card A are separate items, but are related to each other. I create a link to Card A from Card B, but the link does not appear on Card A, as well.

It would be great to have the option to create a reciprocal link between the two cards so I can jump between them easily, if needed. Are there any power-ups that have this functionality?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2017

Hi Alex,

That's a great idea! Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to automatically create the link on the other card as well. You've found that you can create a one-way link from one card to the other, but that won't automatically link the other direction as well.

I'll let the team know this is something you're looking for!

M Chahal October 9, 2017

Hi

I cant work out how to link them. I did see something via a link but it didn't really help.

Can you (or anyone) help?

thanks

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2017

You can link a Trello card to another Trello card using the Attachments button after you've opened a card. In the Attachment options, select the "Trello" option. You'll then search for the title of the card you want to link to the current card you're viewing.

Like Guido_Romeijn likes this
1 vote
Jordan Dayton October 9, 2017

I found a tool today that allows you to create reciprocal links between cards: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/parentchild-management-fo/flnpbgmiploomjgagfbcjlikpiehclld?hl=en

That may be helpful for you ⬆︎

Unfortunately it's not exactly what I'm looking for and was hoping someone could help.

I want to be able to type a description or a comment and reference/link to another trello card, as I'm typing. Similar to how you can type "@" then as you type there is an active search for people on your board. I want to be able to do this same type of active search, among all of my cards, while typing in the description/comment text fields.

A few months ago, I feel like there was a tool/shortcut that I was using or maybe some accidental way to do this, but I can't replicate it anymore. If anyone has any idea of a chrome extension or some native way to search for other cards to link/reference while adding a note to a card, please chime in!

0 votes
Alexandra Huang November 17, 2017

I am totally wondering the same thing!! It only seems to make sense!

Zach L_Anglois November 17, 2017

This should be possible now on the web version of the Trello app. If you add the link to one card, there should now be a link underneath the newly added card attachment that says "Connect cards..." that will create a link to the current card on the attached card.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2017

Yep, Zach's right! Hope it makes its way to the desktop app soon. :)

Jeff Henderson December 15, 2017

Could you explain how to link 2 cards?  Wanting to copy a card and have it on 2 separate boards and only update 1 and the other updates automatically.

Zach L_Anglois December 18, 2017

@Jeff Henderson It sounds like you want card syncing. Perhaps I might suggest either CardSync for Trello (or ButlerBot if you want more fine-grained control of what gets synced between the cards)

Card linking in this sense just means that a link or attachment is on each card referring to the other one so you can just jump between them more easily.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events