Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real-time location of team members?

Travis Jones August 8, 2020

Can I keep track of my crews location in realtime? Location is on in their company phones but is there some way to integrate it into Trello?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2020

@Travis Jones you can use location tracking with IFTTT, but it's not like "tell me where everyone is right now", it's more like "tell me when someone leaves or arrives at some location". So you would have to set up geofences that trigger the automation to run, which could be recorded in Trello.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2020

If you want full accuracy, you would need to install geo-tracking software on their 'phones, and in most countries, obtain explicit written consent to track people.

If you're content with attempts at geo-tracking on the server side, you'll need to find a power-up that can hook into a geo-location service and try to report where the phone is when it connects to Trello. 

This is remarkably unreliable and becoming more so as people become more security and privacy conscious - vpns, onion routers and so-on easily break it.  (With unreliable, when I first worked for a place that was trying to do it, they were having problems with people in the UK appearing to be in Germany because they were using the wifi on their train.  This sort of problem is still endemic, and again, becoming more and more common)

I'm not aware of any power-up that does this either.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events