Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing Trello Lists

Eric Paul Marvets September 13, 2017

I need to print a list on my Trello board from time to time.  Is there a way to print a single list?

Also, could the board's background image be disabled for print?  I need the cards' cover images shown, but the background image just wastes ink.

3 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2019

My current work around to this farcical situation is:

1. Create New board called Print
  2. Select menu on List and Copy List to <List name> - temp
  3. In the new List select menu and Move List to Print board
  4. Switch to the Print board
  5. Click Show Menu & More and select Print and Export | Export as JSON
  6. Copy the JSON in the resulting page
  7. Go to http://connie-clark.github.io/print-trello/ and paste the JSON in the space provided in Step 1
  8. Click on create the report
  9. You can now print the page
  10. From the list menu select Archive this list
RPG_ July 22, 2021

Thanks for the workaround. It's incredible this issue has been going on for years now. I'll keep using Excel for final production in the meantime.

Like # people like this
Felinecarecats October 8, 2021

Thank you so much for this!!!! Just thought you would like to know that over two years after your comment, your page for JSON printing is a massive help and even usable by me! I have saved it for future use, thank you!  

Like boardtc likes this
jimkeyl December 5, 2021

Wow thats alot of steps for something that should be very simple.. The fact that they haven't implemented printing a list is astounding. Its a simple and useful thing to do. I would say this should be a priority. 

ManniStudio August 16, 2022

This tool is amazing.  Thank You!  Thank You for contributing!  worked like a charm.

Maybe Trello will it from you. :-)

Santiago April 14, 2023

I clicked the "Ready" button and absolutely nothing happened. Bummer! All that work and nothing.... Arg!

Natalie Todd May 18, 2023

Hi This is great thanks.

One question - is it possible to print in the date format dd/mm/yy or even yy/dd/mm? My team is getting confused by the US date format. 

Thanks!

4 votes
Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2017

Hi Eric,

Right now, there isn't a way to print an individual ist, or to print card covers without also printing the board's background.

Because Trello's intended to be used primarily on the web, printing isn't something we're prioritizing right now, although it's true that there's room for improvement. That said, I'll pass your interest in these features on to our team for consideration!

Madlyn Waskiewicz March 26, 2018

PLEASE!!! Trello allows for printing of cards & boards - so why not lists also?  I have a To Do Board that contains a list for each day of the week. Some days are particularly busy and it would be SO useful to print a quick list of those days for at-a-glance reference.  While I love Trello's mobile app, there are those times when I just need a printed list to keep close by to help my brain stay on track! ;). I have to manually write out my list from Trello on those days.

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Deleted user November 3, 2018

I echo Madlyn's plea, as well! Is there a third-party add-on that works well? I'd like to select a list and export all card a text file, each card a separate paragraph with title and description. No need for the comments.

Like # people like this
Jack Meyer December 31, 2018

And I further echo these comments. Printing lists in TRELLO, without printing the entire board,  would be a very helpful feature. I wish TRELLO would pick up on this and take it seriously. 

Like # people like this
Deleted user April 12, 2019

I created a new "Print Board", move the list there and then print each list at a time. 

This is obnoxious, but it does what I need for the moment. 

Like # people like this
Deleted user April 12, 2019

Best answer so far, Eleanor. Thanks for the tip! I just now tried it out, and I think your hack will work for me. Mystifies me why this feature could not easily be coded into the platform.

Like Madlyn Waskiewicz likes this
Madlyn Waskiewicz April 13, 2019

Didn't work for me. Eleanor, did you have to do anything special? The first five cards in my list didn't print. There were a total of 12 cards in my list, more than will fit on a single page of letter-sized paper. Are you able to print more than a page? Not that I would really want all that paper anyway! Still not a solution for me. :(

Deleted user April 15, 2019

If you have a long list, your default printer settings may not allow you to print the entire list on one page. If that is happening, spend some time adjusting your printer settings to see if you can fit everything on 1 page. Scale settings, Magnification settings, "Print multiple pages per sheet" - things like that can help you print to one page. 

Madlyn Waskiewicz April 15, 2019

Thank you, Eleanor! But...ugh!!

Deleted user April 15, 2019

I agree. Very ugh. 

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2019

It's farcical. Why the reluctance from Atlassian to add functionality to help printing?

Like # people like this
August Mohr October 14, 2020

It seems that Eleanor has left the group. I admit that I was considering giving up on Trello for this particular feature/fault, until I figured out on my own the workaround of copying the list to a separate board that only contains this list. I may still abandon it, if this is representative. The jury is still out.

Meanwhile, I've been starting to learn the Trello API, and the existence of an API is a GREAT BIG plus for Trello in my book. If worst comes to worse, I may be able to write a script that queries for the names of my boards, lets me pick one, then gets that board's lists and lets me pick from that, the lets me print the list at least as basic text. But I really shouldn't have to.

BTW, I really don't like archiving things that I would rather delete. We have that choice for individual cards, but not for lists or boards. If there is ever a time when I might need look into the Archive for some reason, I don't want it cluttered with a multitude of copies of "To Do Today" for every time I printed out today's list. (I also don't like wasting the disk space, but that's not a major issue. I just like programs that can clean up after themselves. If I'm wasting another 2K minimum file size for every temporary list I create on a daily basis, three times a day, for a year, that's over 2 MB unrecoverable waste.)

Like # people like this
Paul Lindsey March 24, 2023

It seems that the company is focussed on what the company wants the product to be and not what the customers want it to be. Many companies get big by listening to customers and then small because they think they know better

1 vote
John Spady May 7, 2020

As far as removing the background image when printing, my print dialog box gives me the option to uncheck "Print backgrounds" -- this removes the toner-wasting image. YMMV.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events