Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post comment as the user who triggered rule

Souk Nomichith September 4, 2020

I have made a butler rule that is spread across more than one board. When the field named "INBOX" is set to "Bob" it will move the card to the "Message Board" and post a comment saying that the card was moved. 

What is happening is the comment in the card is always posted as me (the rule creator). Instead I want the user who triggered the card to post the comment.

[code]

when custom field "Inbox" is set to "Bob" by anyone, move the card to the top of list "INBOX" on board "Message Board", clear custom field "Inbox", and post comment "Card moved to Message Board @card"

[/code]

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2020

@Souk Nomichith the rules will always run as the person who created them but you can use the {username} variable in the comment to identify who it was that triggered the rule

Souk Nomichith September 8, 2020

@Iain Dooley Thanks for confirming.

I know you are not the developer who wrote the Rules API. I find it weird that the user who triggered the rule doesn't perform the actions followed by the rule. Is this a bug or a feature?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2020

@Souk Nomichith yeah I think this is just a vestige of the fact that before Butler became a power up and was acquired by Trello it ran as a "bot user", so when they changed it into a power up, the person who created the rule became the "bot". If they were to execute the rule as the person who triggered it, then prior to anyone triggering a rule, that person would need to first authenticate and get an API token which would be pretty hairy for most users.

Like Souk Nomichith likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events