Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persons with disabilities use Trello; how well does that go?

Larry Bostian April 15, 2019

I have several colleagues who have disabilities, including blindness. We are considering using Trello. Does anyone with similar experience have advice for us? 

2 answers

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2019

@Larry Bostian I've seen this question before and from what I have seen it doesn't appear to be the case that Trello has been developed with accessibility in mind, which means it's probably not going to be a strong contender.

In this article, the author states:

"The interface isn’t easy to work with, as it doesn’t have WAI-ARIA standards. Even though it can be used with the keyboard, it doesn’t report a lot of things. For example, when you navigate in the list of cards with and , navigation does work. However, it doesn’t let my screen reader know which card has gained focus now. This means that even though I can use the keyboard to navigate to different cards, I can’t, because I don’t know which task I’m on"

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/tools-blind-programmer-parham-doustdar/

It also has a poor, and recent, write up on Accessibility Reviews:

https://a11y.reviews/#trello

As @marc -Collabello--Phase Locked- suggested I would recommend going with something else based on what I can see on this topic.

0 votes
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2019

@Larry BostianMy impression is that the visual component of the Trello boards, lists and cards is quite important.  That implies that visually impaired users will find it harder to navigate a Trello board, because they must use non-visual clues.

Have you thought of using a simpler list based ToDo app, maybe even text based?  These often do not look as pretty, but are easier to navigate for visually impaired users, and screen readers work well with them.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events