Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No trigger for "Create card from template"

Siniša Perović March 21, 2022

Hi.

I don't know if this is intentional, but for some reason, my automation triggers on creating/adding cards don't work if that card is created from the template. Clicking on "Add a card" properly triggers the automation.

Am I missing something?

Cheers.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2022

Hi @Siniša Perović ! Welcome to the community :) what does your trigger say exactly? When you create a card from a template, you're basically copying a card. If the trigger says "When a card is created in the board", when you create a card from a template or copy a card, the trigger won't apply to these copied cards. However, if you create a card directly in a list rather than copying it from another card, the trigger will be applied. 

The trigger "when a card is added to the board" would apply to all cases; whether the card is copied, created from a template, moved into the board, or emailed.

Siniša Perović March 21, 2022

I have a problem with creating a card from a template, either by clicking the "Create card from template" button from within a template or by clicking the icon "Create from template..." in the lower right corner of the list. In each case, both triggers, "Card is added" and "Card is created" won't fire up. You can try it yourself.

Thank you for your time and effort Hannah.

Cheers.

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2022

@Siniša Perović for me, the trigger "card is added" works when adding a card to a board from a template card (either using the icon at the bottom-right of the list or opening the template card and selecting the option to create from template). 

I created a basic rule "when a card is added to the board, add the green label to the card" 
and this is how it looks for me:

create from template.gif

Are you able to share what your rule says?

Siniša Perović March 23, 2022

Thank you @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows for this screenshot, I know where my trouble was. Inside a template, there is a big blue button saying "Create card from template" and hovering over the small icon says "Create from template...", so the trigger for my rule was "when card is created". However, this will work only when adding a card with "Add a card".

Changing my trigger to "when card is added" fixed this issue. I cannot use "when card is created" if I want my trigger to work.

I see two problems here. Firstly, for me adding a card and creating a card is the same thing. Secondly, your buttons are literally saying "Create a card" but I had to use "Add a card" as a trigger for templates to work. That's just confusing because I have two words saying the same thing, to begin with, but the trigger works only if I use the term that is different from the term displayed on the buttons to create a card from a template.

Thank you again for your time and effort and pls either better document this or use only add or create.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events