Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No notification when I'm assigned to a card by Butler

Ash Lago May 4, 2020

Hello, I have the following butler set up:

when an item is checked in a checklist named "Phases Completed" by anyone, move the card to the next list on the board, mark the due date as complete, remove all the members from the card, and add member @[me] to the card

"@[me]" is just a placeholder for my username in this forum. The mention is correctly setup.

When another team member checks an item off in the checklist, all of these actions are performed, but I don't receive a notification that the card has been assigned to me. Is there a way to make that happen?

I'm already watching the board and I don't want the notification to be an e-mail, but to show up in my notification center in Trello.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2020

Hi @Ash Lago 

Welcome to the Community!

If you set the Butler rule up, then Butler is running as you, which means you won't get a notification.

If you want to have a notification, then you would need to ask someone else to set up the same rule.

I had this yesterday, I set up a rule so that when my husband commented on a card, it would add me, he got a notification to say that I had been added but I didn't. This is because he commented on the card, but I'm the one who set up the Butler rule, so essentially I'm the one who triggered it.

I'm in the process of copying all the rules over to him so that I get notifications when he does something (incognito window for the win - he wouldn't have a clue!).

But basically, because you created the Butler rule, you won't be notified when anything happens in a rule or because of a rule that you created.

Does that make any sense whatsoever?!

Esme :)

Ash Lago May 4, 2020

Thanks, Esme! Makes perfect sense.

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2020

No worries Ash!

I tell you, it took me a flippin' age to work out why on earth nothing was coming through to me but his phone was pinging every 2 seconds!

Change 1 rule to be 'owned by him' and hey presto!

Notification heaven (well, almost!).

Now all I have to do is find out all the other rules that I made on his boards, that actually need to be his so I have some kind of clue when something is added! This could take a while!

Esme :)

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2020

@Ash Lago @Esme Crutchley since Trello accounts are free to create, you can also just create another account and set those rules up yourself.

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2020

The only problem with that @Iain Dooley, is the Butler quota on a free account, and if you accidentally add that user to a BC Team, that'll be an extra annual payment for this person.

So, if you're on a free or Gold account, creating another one to handle the tasks that aren't notifying you is an awesome idea (whilst being aware of Butler limits), but if you're on BC, just be mindful that if that new account is added to more than 1 board, you will be charged for them as a multi-board guest.

(Just thought that I should point that out!)

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2020

@Esme Crutchley ah okay so the Butler quota is applied based on the user that sets up the rule, not the team which the board belongs to? So if you have a guest on one of your business class boards, and they set up a rule, the quota is the guests free quota, not the business class quota?

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2020

It sort of depends @Iain Dooley 

If you have a free member, added to 1 board - they won't be charged, but will only have the free quota for Butler.

You could always have many free accounts and add them to a board each running a single command - that would be one way around it. But you'd have to be careful that they 1. stayed within the free quota and also 2. don't add them to more than 1 board

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2020

If they're already in the team, and the board is part of the team, then it would be from the Team quota.

If it's a personal board, and they're a member of a BC Team, then it would come from the Gold quota (every member of the Team has Gold on their personal boards).

If they're a free member and added to the board as a member, I would assume it would come out of their free quota because they're on a board and not the team (so they wouldn't have access to the team quota)

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2020

@Esme Crutchley hectic :S

Like Esme Crutchley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events