Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Trello & a Few Questions About Making a fixed list

Julian December 6, 2017

I use Trello for work projects. That is pretty straight forward.

BUT when I have a repeated list of tasks that slightly vary each week. I have a master list of about 50 items from which half of them are performed weekly.  I have them colour coded into five different groups. So when I make the week's to-do list from them as I do them I put them back on the master list. 

Is there any way that when they are returned to the master list they can stay in the same order that they were originally in before I put them on the to-do list?

1 answer

0 votes
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

Hi Julian,

Are all of these items in a checklist on a card? I'm not sure I understand, so want to confirm that.

If so, it's not possible to maintain that order.

However, if the tasks that you're doing repeat at predictable intervals, you might consider setting this up with Card Repeater instead: http://help.trello.com/article/1068-using-the-card-repeater-power-up

That way, you could set up a different card for each week, and set that card to repeat on whatever schedule is appropriate. Then, on that frequency, you'll automatically get a new card, copied from that original.

Julian December 7, 2017

I have these on cards since the checklist would not work.  Of these items, it changes what needs to be done every week. So I have a master list color coded, and I drop all the to-do items on a second list. Once they are done, I need to return them to the original list but I want them to stay in the same order so they are easy to find. 

Imagine a shopping list of items you get at the store---you want to buy different items every trip. If I use a checklist that would not work--the list would be everything. Using cards allows me to drop the items to a board of "to do" items. 

Julian December 8, 2017

Essentially, I have a list from which I ideally want to check off a dozen or two every week as my tasks. I would like for these checked items to become a new list--my To-Do List.  But that doesn't work in Trello. I tried. If I make a check list, I can only check from the master list.  

So I made a list as a series of colour coded cards. From this Master list, I displace what items I need to do for that week to a card on the left side of my board, called To-Do.  

As I finish these items I was hoping to return them to the master list. I can do this, but they just go in anywhere, and their original order is lost. I was wondering if you have a better solution. Thanks!!

Julian December 8, 2017

Also, in response to your suggestion, is there a list repeater? I need the entire list, or as I describe above. That is what I really need.

Thanks!

Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2017

There is no list repeater, unfortunately, only a Card Repeater.

Natively, Trello only supports sorting cards in a list by Date Created, which might not work for you. Instead, I've got two additional suggestions for you to check out.

One is Ultimello, which is a third-party Chrome extension, and can sort cards in a list in several more ways: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ultimello-the-features-pa/hahbfgjfimnmogoinnenhheepfcphnmm?hl=en-US

Second, Butler for Trello also has several list sorting capabilities, so you could set up a sort order, and though you might have to initiate the sort manually, you'd be able to get the cards back into the desired order: https://trello.com/c/bZH9iHxz/131-sorting-lists

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events