Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a way to search and arrive at a list

brandonjp May 11, 2020

I daily have one giant problem with Trello... getting to a list. I know the name of the list. I know how to search using the "list:" operator. But that only gets me half-way.  

Here's the incredibly inefficient workflow:

• "Oh, I need to add a new card to the 'Articles to Write' list!"
  • So I open the Trello Mac app and "Crap... which board was that on?"
  • "Okay, I'll search for it." - So I search for "list:articles"
  • "Ah, there it is, but I can't click on the list, so I'll click on a card"
  • And this pops up the card - "But I'm trying to find the list!"
  • On the open card, It shows the list name, but clicking that is just an option to move the card to a different list.
  • So, I'll close the card and scroll until I find the list
  • Crap, there are too many lists on this board.
  • So, I'll open the website in a regular browser and repeat all these steps again and get to the list so that I can hit Cmd-F in the browser to find the list.
  • Ahh- that was incredibly inefficient. 

Point is, I wish there was a way to get to a list more easily. 

How are other people doing this?  

Am I the only one who has this trouble?

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2020

@brandonjp I use the web application instead of the mac app because I often need more than one tab and multiple Trello windows seems to use up more resources than multiple browser tabs. That would eliminate the first part of your problem because you wouldn't have to switch over before using ctrl+f.

However, if you're having trouble remembering on which board you had a list into which you want to add a new card you might want to rethink how many boards you have, and how many lists you have.

Often, using labels can help you reduce your board/list numbers, I wrote about this here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/How-can-I-see-all-my-Trello-cards-in-one-place/ba-p/1050430

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events