Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My cards won't stay in the order I put them in

CherylR78 November 2, 2021

I put my cards in a certain order within my list but they don't stay in that order. When I leave the list/board and come back, something is always moved. Whether I drag/reorder them or use Move > and select the board, list, and position I want them in - they don't stay ordered. Am I missing something about this? Is it not possible to order the cards in a specific way? Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2021

Are there other people using the board adding/moving cards that might affect the order? When you sort a list, that vertical ordering is not preserved. For example, if you sort a list of cards by due date, and you add a new card to the list, or move cards around, cards won't shift automatically to be in order of due date, you need to keep sorting the list to keep it in order. 

Another thing that might be affecting the vertical ordering could be some sort of automation. Do you have any Butler commands on your board that might affect the ordering of cards? Or some other 3rd-party automation tool?

CherylR78 November 3, 2021

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your suggestions!

I'm the only user in the account at the moment and I don't have any automations turned on. I see that the list gets out of order when I add something but I'm struggling with the list going out of order when I've left the list (or Trello altogether) and come back later and see things are moved. I wondered if I was doing something wrong or not selecting some option that would allow my ordering to be saved? Perhaps not and it's just an odd and weird quirk.

Trello seems to have other quirks with ordering things - when I'm trying to put my custom list fields in a particular order, I have to move the list item twice, closing the custom list pop-up window in between each time, before the order will stick. And I saw someone in another forum saying they have to do the same thing. Also odd, and very inconvenient.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 3, 2021

Are you able to make a video (like with loom) and link it so we can see what you mean?

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2021

@CherylR78 

The 'pos' attribute is an integer which you can change via API. I cannot recall that it change be changed via automation. You probably need to order your cards....do a http request to set the pos on each card in that list.

There is 

"old":{"pos":196607}

May be this can be useful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events