Moving cards with custom fields to another board seems to lose the custom fields?

Steve Rumsby April 12, 2017

I use the custom fields power-up on my boards, and occasionally move cards from one board to another. In the move the custom field values disappear, even if the target board has the same fields defined in te same way. Is there a way I'm missing to make this work?

Thanks,
Steve.

2 answers

1 vote
Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2017

Sorry, the custom fields are currently only available on a per-board basis.

Steve Rumsby April 13, 2017

"Currently"? Does that mean there are plans to change this? It would make multi-board set-ups much more useful. Losing information when you move cards between boards is more than a little annoying :-)

Steve.

Like Kathy Malone likes this
Jason Conolly April 21, 2017

I just experienced the same thing, and the same frustration.  This is a necessary feature.

I was able to move my cards back to the original board, and the Custom Fields recovered.  So the information must still be present in the card (even though it was not visible in the second board).

Knowing that the information is still there gives some urgency to Steve's question about plans to change this behavior.  Is this something expected to be available?  When?  I might be able to live with the Custom Field information being invisible for a little while (if I know how long that will be, and that the information will be visible again).

Jason

Fernando Guillén Suárez August 17, 2017

Same here, This is a bit annoying but also very danger, if you not realize you can lose very important information.

I have a Boar with a lot of Cards I can not move to another Board because I will lose this information :/

Jen Robichaux August 21, 2017

When setting up custom fields, I understood that the data was preserved if the card was moved off the board, and then back again. I mistakenly assumed that if I configured all my boards with the same custom fields that the fields would transfer between boards. I'm very disappointed to see that's not the case.

Custom fields have the potential to be incredibly useful to our team. However, not if they don't transfer between boards.

We use Trello to manage a large/complex project that requires several boards. We need custom fields to transfer (just like tags) across boards.

Kyle_Brandt August 23, 2017

I also ran into this when testing the Custom Fields power-up. Our Team has a Trello board for future months, and a different board for the current and upcoming month.

The custom fields would have been very useful for adding some structured data. But when it is limited to the board it negates the use of this feature for me since we have a multi-board workflow.

Kyle_Brandt August 23, 2017

Oh, for those following this I just noticed this is in the "In Progress" checklist on the Trello roadmap, no due date though. https://trello.com/c/ndXbmEbO/1593-custom-fields-improvements-including-mobile

Raphael Laqueur October 12, 2017

Hey, it works for me, when I copy the board with customfields. In this case you're able to move cards from one board to another.

Maybe this helps you?

Jeremy Noble October 1, 2020

This totally and absolutely defeats the usefulness of having custom fields. Why wasn't this feature released as part of the custom fields to begin with?

Disappointing to see that Trello is the only kanban service with custom fields and yet does half the job.

Like David Humble likes this
David Humble October 27, 2021

Any chance this is being looked at @Torben_trello ? Or is there at least a work-around?

Cheers
Dave

0 votes
Hưng Thịnh Đoàn Lê December 20, 2021

I found a way

I have a card with custom field "expense". If you set the customf field to N/A then copy/move to other board without custom field. So i set an automation:

When i set custom field to "move", move the card to the "trash" list (same board), clear custom field "expense", clear custom field "move" then move the card to [list or board you want]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events