• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Moving card to adopt template format

Hi Trello Community!

At our law office, we use Trello for call intake and case management. We have a Lead Tracking board and also a Criminal Defense board. The Criminal board has template cards. We want to be able to create a rule in Lead Tracking whereby - once we select "retained" and "criminal" in the custom fields - Trello automatically moves the card to Criminal Defense and the card will then automatically adopt the template properties. Something tells me that's totally possible. I'm just so new to it I haven't had time to find the solution. Please help :) 

J. Dallo

1 answer

0 votes
Esme Crutchley Community Leader Apr 25, 2020

Hi @J. Dallo 

Welcome to the Community!

Because a template card is used to create new versions of itself, you can't strictly get an existing card to adopt the same things that are on the template card.

However, it is possible to have a Butler rule to change most of what's on the card.

I have a specific board that when I add a card to a certain list, I want Butler to perform a set of actions. This is what it looks like:

Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 09.39.37.png

As you can see, the trigger is adding a card with an empty description to a specific list, but you could change yours to read 'when a card is added to list x,' then I have 5 things that Butler does for me

1. I join the card (this board is only for me, so I don't need to add anyone else!)
  2. Because I have my boards linked to my calendar I use emoji's at the front and end of the card name so that I know where the calendar event has come from - so I get it to rename it on creation
  3. Then I have a set description that I want to add (if you want to append a description - so leave something that's already there and add something to the end - you could have something like this {carddescription} \n\n---\n\n then the new bit you want to add - this will ensure that there are clear lines and a divider line between the section that's already there and the new bit you've added
  4. Then I add 2 checklists - I've added the card link here so that I always get the right checklists, because I've found before that if I put the cardname, and rename the card, the rule doesn't run - so for preference I use the cardlink now

Just to elaborate on point 3 (above), this is what it looks like in another rule I've made:

Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 09.44.15.png

You can have multiple Butler rules set to append the card description - just make sure that either at the beginning of the action you have {carddescription}\n\n---\n\n or you have it the other way around and have this at the end, if you want them to appear in chronological order of addition. I would suggest if you want to have something like this, you play around with a few sample cards (create cards in the list purely for this purple) so that you can see how they work.

You can have as many or as few actions as you like to get the desired effect.

There are different ways to get the outcome that you want, you could have 'when a card is added to x list' or 'when the green x label is added to the card' - so it would just mean that whatever your preferred method is, that's the one you go with!

Please let me know if this helps, and if it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, please let me know that too and I'll try again!

Esme :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

776 views 13 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you