Moving Trello Tickets based on who's opening them - is it possible?

Christoph Burgdorfer September 13, 2021

Hello,

I am currently designing a workflow and am considering Trello. One idea was, that if a specific user opens a ticket, it will automatically move to a specific column. 

For argument's sake, let's assume one column means "cleaning". So I would like to move the ticket automatically to that column if the "cleaner person" is picking it up. 

Likewise, if the "painter" opens the ticket, the ticket moves over to "painting".

Is that possible with Butler/Automation? I couldn't find a trigger "opening ticket".

Thanks! :) 

3 answers

0 votes
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2021

If I'm understanding this correctly, the tickets(cards) are already created. What you want is that when someone takes responsibility of a card ("opening" the ticket), you want it to automatically move to a list based on the user's role.

There's a bunch of solutions, of varying complexities:

The simplest of which is to just make a bunch of Card Buttons, one for each role. While automatically having them join the card while they're at it.

Another is to have it so: when @ user is added to a card, move the card to the bottom of list 'hardcoded-role'". Manageable if there are only a few users, as you'd need to have a rule for each user.

The complex solution requires a separate lookup table. With the same lists as your main board, but with a card for each user, with their username as the card title. Then: when someone is added to a card, lookup a card titled "{addedusername}" on board "UserRoles", and move the card to the bottom of list "{foundcardlistname}". 

You can then add whatever additional filters to the trigger you like, and it should be a good enough solution so long as the board you're searching through (user roles) doesn't have thousands of cards (something the Trello help pages point out). You can also use fullnames instead of usernames as well per the Member Variables.

Additional Note: The simplest solution is also the easiest to extend due to being Role based as opposed to User based like the other two. Which means you can make it so that if you click "Assign Cleaner" it adds a due date. But if you "Assign Painter", it adds to a tally on a "Paint Supplies Used" card as a (very) rough estimate of when to buy more paint. For instance. There's probably an even more complex solution that incorporates the Role-based nature in to the complex solution by splitting the main rule in two.. but my brain starts sweating just thinking about it ha. Edit2: Actually, you just need to have a separate rule for each list, when a card is moved into or added to the list, to do role-specific actions etc. Not that hard. Just hard to juggle when thinking about all the other parts at the same time.

0 votes
Christoph Burgdorfer September 13, 2021

Thanks @Andrea Crawford for this suggestion. It's close but I think it's not exactly what I need, as the users don't actually add the cards to the board. They get created by a different team (the management team).  Or am I missing something? Thanks!

0 votes
Andrea Crawford
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2021

Does this rule seem like it would do what you want? 

when a card is added to the board by @username, move the card to the bottom of list "Cleaning"

You can choose a specific user in the in the trigger by toggling Advanced, then clicking the person icon. (Screenshot: https://share.getcloudapp.com/Jruxe2J6

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events