Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Member on Copied Card

Simon Eyre June 24, 2020

Hi There - 

I have a rule that on creation of a new card, it checks the comments for keywords and then creates another card based on the content.

Those comments also contain an "@username" field to assign a User as a member. It'll always assign the member to the parent card however depending on the order within activity, if the card is copied (with comments) before the member is assigned the child card doesn't inherit the member (not does it autodiscover the User and add as a member).

An example Activity Log - all happening at the same time by rules:

Person1 copied this card from Template

Person1 - Comments pasted in

Person1 - Ticked todo list item1

Person1 - Added Person2 to this card (found from "@Person2" in comments)

Person1 - Ticked todo list item2

As a second and third rule run to make a copy of the ticket based on the ticked items, one will miss the Member and the other will copy him over. I would have thought that copied ticket would have just read the comments again and added the member, but it doesn't happen...

Any advise on how to stagger this better?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2020

@Simon Eyre this seems like you're using Butler Bot rather than the new integrated Butler is that correct? If so, the reason it doesn't just react to the comments pasted into the copied card is because Butler Bot doesn't allow command chaining (which NewButler does). You could add this NewButler rule to do the comment thing:

2020-06-25 at 8.37 pm.png

Simon Eyre June 25, 2020

Thanks Iain - I'll check into this.

Simon Eyre June 29, 2020

I was able to confirm that I am using the built in Butler, it's not in or from the 'power-ups'. 

I also tried adding the rule, but it is not getting triggered. I need to do some more testing with it, try and spot why.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2020

@Simon Eyre Hmm okay are you able to post a screenshot of your rule?

Simon Eyre June 30, 2020

I don't have a specific rule that adds the member from the comments of the 'parent' card. When a new comment is pasted in, it just works. That single pasted comment is basically a CSV file that contains the @username statement as well as a list of trigger words to run other actions. One of those action examples is below:

when a comment containing "\"Build Project\"" is posted to a card in list "Project Client", check item "Build Project" in checklist "Products", copy the card to the top of list "Builds", rename the card to "{cardname} - Build", remove the "Products" checklist from the card, and add the "Build Checklist" checklist from card "Build Template" to the card

Thanks for your help here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events