Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookup unlinked items in a checklist

Paul July 13, 2020

I am using a card button with Butler that does the following:  for each checklist item in a named checklist, it converts the item to a linked card in list copying labels and members.

This works fine. However, sometimes I add additional items to the checklist, and I only want those new items to be converted to a linked card. So when I'm looking up the items in the checklist to converst, I only need the ones that have not already been converted to a linked card. Does anyone know how to achieve this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Hm, I know how to do the opposite of only acting on the linked items and not the normal ones, but not the other way round..

That said, an alternative set-up might be to have a Rule where every time you create a new checklist item starting with "!" or some other little-used character, to immediately convert it in to a linked card, then rename that card as {textaftermatch}.

Its a little more demanding on the command runs. But you could have different versions of the rule with different special characters to put it in different lists or boards etc, which has been pretty useful so far for me at least.

Paul July 15, 2020

Thanks! This could work potentially (and may be the best option as it seems not possible to find checklist items that are NOT linked). However, it seems as though you have to do this as a rule and not as a card button. Do you know if you can find items starting with a certain character upon clicking a button? It seems not.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

@Paul  You are currently the second person who wanted this in recent days. It is an interesting for a  generic custom PU that various people can deploy individually but served from a common code base. Built one last Sunday as I need the ability to execute code on other users boards with reusable pre-tested code “as a service”. Code can be written in such a way that user provide details of a board, list or even a checklist and the code will run and deliver the results. 
{'board_name' : 'string in quotes' , 'card_id' : 'string in quotes' , 'list_name' : '["string1", "string2", "string3"]' , 'custom_fields' : {'key1' : 'value1', 'key2' : 'value2'} }

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2020

@Paul Here's what I created. Instead of checklist become a link it remains as text. Nothing prevents me from updated it to append a link.

https://www.loom.com/share/c562846b031148f5afc706b618d0ba2e

@Iain Dooley Iain, this is version 2

New version has now card link in re-named checklist it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 11.19.06 AM.png

Paul July 16, 2020

Thanks both! Using the ! character looks like a good workaround and I've managed to make that work. The custom code solution is rather neat too, and looks like it could be adjusted to explicitly find checklist items that are not linked (versus not checked.)

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2020

@Paul  Here’s some fancy work I did on checklist. Looking to improve it with new stuff I am learning each day. It responds to new items added.  It is, however, a non Butler solution. I recommend Butler where possible. 
https://www.loom.com/share/a8c984ddaf4e45988a641418ff53ad07

Paul July 15, 2020

The link you included here is one to a video on connecting Trello to a Google calendar, so I think it might not be the one you were intending to send.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events