Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limits to Drop-downs? Order cards by custom field, like a Drop-down?

Advantage Gutters April 8, 2020

We use drop-down custom fields to label subdivisions in our service area. I've had to create (3) of these drop-down lists because there is a limit of inputs for each one. It limits us to (50) inputs.

• Is there a way to take the limit off the drop-down? I want to just have (1) large alphabetical list instead of multiple.
  • From there, is it possible to sort cards in a list by drop-down inputs?

2 answers

1 vote
joaofiche April 8, 2020

That's a great feature that my team can benefit from as well

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2020

@Advantage Gutters @joaofiche there's no way to remove the limit to the number of items you can have on a dropdown, but there's no limit to the number of labels you can have in a board, and you can filter labels when adding them. If you have a fixed list of sub-divisions, perhaps adding each sub-division as a label with no colour (so it doesn't clutter up your coloured label space) would be a better option. Or you could use a single colour for your sub-division labels so that you could still display the sub-division on the front of the card.

You can sort by dropdown custom fields using Butler, but not using the built-in "Sort By" function on the list menu.

However if you're using labels for sub-divisions to overcome the 50 item limit in dropdowns, you will lose the ability to do a sensible sorting rule using Butler because it doesn't have a "sort by label alphabetically" rule, it only has "sort by label in fixed order" as a rule.

HOWEVER ... this Trellinator function would sort a list by first label name alphabetically whenever a card was added to it:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/8825831f8260080b20db23f94bd56767

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Advantage Gutters April 9, 2020

Thanks for the info @Iain Dooley . This isn't what I'm looking for though. 

If I were able to sort by a drop-down list (that isn't limited), that would be a game changer. That doesn't seem too wild for the developers to implement. Is there a reason drop-downs are limited in the first place?

Also, being able to sort list by rules doesn't seem like a stretch either. Example:

• First sort list by drop-down
  • Then sort by due date
  • Then sort by other custom field, etc.

Really hope to see these features come to light. This would make Trello a true staple to our daily process. 

Like Eric Hansen likes this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2020

@Advantage Gutters they've got a lot on their plates and a lot of feature requests, I wouldn't hold your breath ;)

Advantage Gutters April 9, 2020

That's the spirit. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events