License purchase

Andeep Patel March 1, 2022

We are looking to purchase licenses for Trello however wanted to know and understand the best way forward and how these are allocated to users.

Is it assigned to a user via email? can we package the app and deploy to a set of users?

Whats the best way forward to manage a set of users and manage the licenses long term, i.e if and when someone leaves. 

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2022

Are you buying Standard or Premium for your Workspace? If so, it works even simpler than you are thinking.  If you pay monthly, it just bills you for the people that are members of your Workspace each month.  So if you add someone, it bills you for one more person. If you deactivate someone, then next month you will pay for one less person.  You don't have to manage licenses.

If you pay annually, it's basically the same.  When you add someone, you just pay for the prorated yearly rate for them for the rest of your term.  I believe in both cases (monthly/annually) if you deactivate someone and then activate someone else, you won't get billed again. (i.e. the system knows you paid for 20 ppl, so if you deactivate users first and go down to 19, and then add a new person to get to 20 - the system is smart enough to say "you already paid for 20 - I don't need to bill you again").

If you are buying Trello Enterprise I'd have to check but I think it works more like you described where you purchase up to a certain number of licenses and you can activate up to that amount.  

Thanks Michael, that seems straight forward and simple. From the sounds of it if someone gets added to the workspace we'll be charged accordingly whether that's monthly or annually. 

I would need to check what the department are looking to buy, Standard, Premium or Enterprise, as I'm supporting the business in the procurement and set up. 

Do you have any information you could share or direct me to around this?

I've been told its the enterprise license. 

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2022

Ok, so Enterprise you will just pay for a set number of licenses (let's say 100) and then you can just add up to 100 users to your Enterprise.  It's even simpler than credit card billing for Standard and Premium.  If you deactivate someone then that creates a spot where you can add someone else, but you don't really need to manage this - you do that by adding them to your Enterprise Organization or deactivating them from it.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
March 1, 2022

There's some info here: https://help.trello.com/article/1078-enterprise-admin-dashboard

But it should be pretty straight forward and if you have any questions once you do it feel free to ask.

Andeep Patel March 4, 2022

Thanks Michael, 

In terms of licensing and access do you have any additional info you can share?

For example does everyone need a license to access and edit a workspace? if we had a team of 40 would we need to purchase a license for all 40 users in order for them to access and edit the workspace?

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2022

Yes.  If you have 40 people in the paid workspace, then you will need to pay for 40 users.

You could use Trello for free with those 40 people, but not if you have more than 10 boards in the Workspace or need any of the paid features.

Andeep Patel March 7, 2022

Thanks Michael, it might be worth me connecting and speaking to someone within sales. 

As I'm representing the business who use the product I'd like to know and understand what the paid features are. 

There is probably a question whether we actually need to purchase licenses. 

Just to confirm and reading the above, a user can create up to 10 boards within a workspace and grant others access for free, correct? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events