Issues with synch between Trello and Google calendar

Brad Hawkins April 13, 2020

I have Trello (paid version). I use it for job, task , event and project management. It's a great tool. I wouldn't be without it now. I use several power ups too. I was a long time user of MS Office. MS Office did a good job of synching emails, tasks and calendar but lacked decent project management (IMO). So I turned to Trello and for the most part it has been great.

One area where it falls down is in the calendar department (again IMO). I tried the native calendar power up and it wasn't for me. I am VERY busy, working in excess 80 to 100hrs plus all the things that keeps you busy at home too. I NEED a calendar system that synchs across my laptop, phone (Android) and tablet (Android) flawlessly.

I initially tried using a Google calendar but had too many synch issues with slow synching and time zone issues.

I tried Planyway (paid version) and although I like it, much to my horror I discovered they didn't have an Android App. Apparently it is coming (very?) soon but I need something to use until the App is available (and that's if the App lives up to expectations).

For a while I didn't use anything until recently. So out of desperation I tried Google calendar again. It now synchs better than before and most of the events in Trello now synch to the correct day and time.

My only issue is that when I synch perpetual events, Monday to Friday, the AM events seem to spill into Saturday AM on the Google calendar. This isn't the case in Planyway, just an issue in Google calendar.

Does anyone know what causes this discrepancy in Google calendar? My time zones appear to be correct and by all accounts all events except the ones mentioned above synch correctly.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2020

Hi @Brad Hawkins 

Welcome to the Community!

I can't strictly answer your question because I could never get Playway to do what I wanted it to do!

However, effortlessly, I use Cronofy for syncing between my Trello boards (of which there are MANY) and my Google Calendar. I particularly like the way that for the paid version of Cronofy (which is $24 a year - cheaper than Playway), you can sync specific boards to specific Google Calendars. For about a year, I used the free version of Cronofy; 1 board > 1 calendar and only in the last few months have upgraded to the paid version.

I understand that this might not be for everyone and that this might not be suitable for your needs, however, I thought I would mention it just in case!

Esme :) 

Brad Hawkins April 13, 2020

Hello Esme

Thanks for your reply. I think I tried the free version of Cronofy a while back but found it to restrictive (at the time) as I think from memory the synch was only one way. I also needed synch for more than one Board. I also found the pricing very high. Sounds like things have improved.

I could be wrong, but when I look up the price for the paid version it starts from $99/month??? Where did you get your pricing from? Their website or is it a special deal for Trello users? $24-00/year is very affordable but I can't justify $99/month. If in USD $ then with the crappy AUD $ exchange rate I'm nearly paying double that price.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear back about how you got that pricing. Thanks again for the reply.

Regards

Brad

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2020

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your reply!

I paid $23.88, which worked out to exactly £20.72 for the year (I know because I've just checked my bank statement! This is what my subscription page looks like - so you know I'm being honest!

Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 22.53.50.png

I put Cronofy onto one board, then when I tried to add it to another board, it gave me the figure. It'll say something like 'time to upgrade' so I'm assuming it's a Trello price?

It does have 2-way sync, however, you can't add something to your Google Calendar and have it sync to the board (which is a bit of a bummer!). However, once it's added on the board, and has synced to the calendar, you can move it around. Anything you add to the 'description' of a card will show up in the notes section of the Google Calendar event, and if you add something to the notes of the linked event, it'll show up in your description. 

I will say that the sync is pretty swift, especially once it's finished syncing everything on the board with a due date, anything you add will show up really quickly on the calendar from Trello.

Esme :)

Brad Hawkins April 14, 2020

Hello Esme

Thanks for your message. It wasn't that I didn't believe you, it was just a case of not knowing how you got the product for that price. Thanks for the clarification.

I honestly don't think you can consider the system as being a totally valid 2 way synch if it won't synch events created in a Google calendar. That certainly lacks functionality IMO.

I currently use a Google calendar and manage to have an almost flawless 2 way synch process between Trello and Google calendar. The only issue I have is a small discrepancy for appointments on Saturday mornings and I'm at a loss to explain the anomaly. Other than that it works perfectly (and fast) with COMPLETE 2 way synch.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what Planyway offer in the Android App, but as a contingency plan I would like to resolve the Google calendar issue. I think the Cronofy option won't work for me as I need to be able to add content and cards from the calendar when needed.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brad

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2020

Hi Brad,

I have a problem with it not being a full 2-way sync as well, but as I live primarily in Trello and only use my calendar to be able to adjust my schedule, 90% of my tasks start in Trello and filter into my calendar, rather than the other way around. I would love to be able to have a true 2-way sync, but I can't afford Planyway, so rather than living in my calendar, I live in my Trello instead, so that I can make it work for me for the cost of Cronofy, rather than Planyway.

It might be worth reaching out to Trello support about it?

You can do so on this page bu clicking on the 'Ask Trello Support' link. It might be something that they know about and is in the process of being fixed/needs an update. 

You might also consider reaching out to Planyway, especially as you're paying for it, and highlighting the issue with them? They might be able to 'fix' it, or they may not even know about it and you can tell them and then they can fix it?

Sorry I couldn't be more help :)

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2020

Hi Brad,

I've also just found this on a mismatch between the times. Don't know if it's helpful?

Brad Hawkins April 14, 2020

Hello Esme

Thanks again for your replies. I might have to do as you suggest and try Trello Support but thought either someone on here might know or maybe Trello Support was part of this forum.

It's not a world ending issue but more of an annoyance. Hopefully they can help.

Thanks for the other suggestion, but that's not it. All of my appointments/events are spot on except for Saturday mornings whereby for some strange reason they are duplicated from what appears to be Friday morning. They are no other duplicates and no other timing issues. Strange uhh?

Anyway, unless someone else has a bright idea I'll have to see what Trello says or hope that Planyway come up with a decent App.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Brad

Like Esme Crutchley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events