Is there a way to refine the search to be within a single board.

Deleted user March 17, 2020

I would like to search within the bounds of a single board to find all lists with a common text string.  Is there a way to do that...?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2020

@[deleted] There are two things called "Search" in Trello -- one of them used to be called "Filtering" which is a better name IMHO.

Anyhoo, you've got the "Search in this board" (formerly filtering):

https://help.trello.com/article/787-filtering-search-cards-on-a-board

and you've got "Search all boards":

https://help.trello.com/article/808-searching-for-cards-all-boards

To your question, though, neither of these will allow you to search for a list. The "filter" search on a board allows you to show only cards by assignee, due date, label etc.

The "all board search" allows you to search for *cards* in a *board* in a *list* but doesn't allow you to search for lists.

So for example the search string to find all cards in board "blah" that are in a list called "Blathering Blatherskite" (Gizmoduck fans unite!) would be:

board:"blah" list:"Blathering Blatherskite"

but this won't display the cards in a board view, it displays them in a search results list.

If those two things aren't what you need, can you describe the use case for this feature? There might be a different way to achieve what you need via the API.

Deleted user March 18, 2020

Thank you for the helpful info.  I think I understand, but let me explain further to ensure.

We have a Trello board for Power ISVs (ISV = software partners).  The board is structured where each ISV is a list and within the list are cards for information, action items, etc.

ISVs fall into industry categories, for example ISV Cerner is within the Healthcare industry.

So the filter I am looking for would display the lists for Healthcare ISVs.  And I would have another filter for lists for FSM ISVs, and so on.

I suppose I could add a Healthcare label to each card, which would take a little time.  And then would not display in a board view, but rather in a search list.

I suppose I could also create multiple boards, one for each industry segment.  However, that would require team members to know which industry the ISVs are in in order to find the right list within 12-13 industry boards.

A list filter within a single board would be useful for team meetings and exec reviews.  We are using the Trello board live during status meetings.  Filtering the lists would provide a more useful display for navigating thru those events.

Do I understand correctly...?  Any ideas...?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2020

@[deleted] I definitely think that this is better suited to a "board of boards" approach, but you'd need some automation to make this work in an "overview" sense for meetings, and probably to make the creation of the boards/cards less onerous.

The "board of boards" automation is actually the "Something more interesting" example I give in my introduction to Trellinator, an automation framework I wrote in Google Apps Script to pick up where Butler Bot left off:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Then you can add your "category" labels to the "overview" cards, and then you can use list to designate other things like location or stage of the relationship.

As far as getting an easy overview of current actions during a meeting, something like this Trellinator function would loop through all cards at 9am and create a checklist with links to each card in the Action list of the linked board:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/d5554c7030ad2fe10274c50d03cd763b

This model also gives you more latitude within the ISVs board to create your reference/info list, as well as a more traditional Backlog/Action/Done type arrangement, and would allow you to add different members to different sub-boards and even share certain boards with people external to the organisation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events