Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to add a due date to a comment within a card?

Mark Laughery May 3, 2019

I have a card to follow any and all maintenance done to a machine however when there is a item that need to be replaced at a certain time I would like to be able to create a due date to a comment  and not have to create a new card just for the one item.

3 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2019

@Mark Laughery rather than using a comment, you could add a checklist item and have that split out into a sub-task:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Subtasks-with-Butler/ba-p/1060392

You can also trigger with Butler when adding a checklist item ending with a date and set the card due on that date, so you could add a checklist item like:

Do this blah next wednesday 9am

and it will set the due date to next wednesday at 9am. Which of these you choose would depend on whether you wanted multiple active maintenance issues each with their own due dates active for a given card.

0 votes
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2019

@Mark Laughery 

I second @Michael Wolfe 's statement. However, there are always options if one is willing to compromise.

For instance, you could set up a date custom field, that gets filled with a date once a comment gets a due date. Since you can display custom fields on the front of a card, there would always be an easy way to spot the date.

And if you would want special notifications for this date approaching, you could set this up with the Butler Power-Up. Below is an example of this:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-03 um 18.07.13.png

This command would be triggered if the set custom field would be due in less than 1 day and an orange warning sticker would be added to the card.

Does that help?

Michael Wolfe
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2019

@Katrin Anger that's a great idea!  I forget about Custom fields and that could be a workaround for adding dates on the fly.

Like Katrin Anger likes this
0 votes
Michael Wolfe
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2019

It looks like you can only add due dates to cards, and not individual items within the card.  What you may want to do is create a column to track sub-tasks, or child cards in order to workaround this limitation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events