Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to schedule creation of a card from a template?

Jordan Crow December 15, 2020

I'd like to;

- Schedule the creation of cards from templates each month

- Include in the title of the card the current month

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2020

Butler has Scheduled/Calender rules in which every month you can Create a card with quite a bit of detail. Possibly enough detail to replace your Template altogether. This is probably your best bet.

Edit: Scheduled rules are only available for paid tiers of Trello

You can use {monthname} to get the current month's name. Other options available here

There are other niche/complex options that I'll list below, but they're rather janky and the above is the simplest to maintain and use.

----

If you don't mind having your Templates visible in some list for all to see (you monster!) and not hidden away. In a Scheduled trigger, you can Copy a card that filters specifically for that template card. Its pretty niche though as I don't think most people want their templates just lying around all visible like that.

The other option is to use a regular Butler rule, that can access Template cards or other regular archived cards via url. But its missing a way to schedule it. You can either chain triggers (wasteful) or look in to repeating tasks (never used) to trigger the Butler rule. This is rather janky though so I don't advise it (every now and then I see users complaining about misplaced repeating tasks that continue triggering and they can't track down the source. sounds like a headache)

Jordan Crow December 15, 2020

Great thanks so much!

0 votes
Eva Galanes-Rosenbaum January 3, 2022

Following up on this thread. If anyone on the Trello team is listening, I'd like to put in a strong vote for a few features being added to Butler:

• Create a new card from a template: specifically, I'd like this to be available either as a scheduled command (e.g., every Monday create a new card from "Monday" template"), or in a Board Button (e.g., when I press this button, it creates a new card from "Monday" template in "THIS WEEK" list), or both
  • Be able to edit the cover of cards created via Butler: I have a scheduled command that creates a card for each weekday every Monday, but I'd really like to make each of those cards a specific color so they stand out from the rest of my cards. At it is, I do this manually every week and it's a total nuisance.
  • Be able to refer to the location of a list: before Butler was merged into Trello, there was a way to refer to lists by their location (#4), regardless of which list was in that specific location. That changed when Trello bought(?) Butler and I want it back! It was so useful!
0 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2020

Hi @Jordan Crow ,

Welcome to the community!

I don't think you can schedule the creation of a card from a template!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events