Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to assign labels to only apply to specific lists?

Maxwell Edison February 13, 2021

I don't like the whole "applied everywhere" model that Trello seems to use.

I'd like to say, for a development project, have one list for bugs, and color-code the bugs based on severity - so, red would be "Severe".  But then, on another list, which will never contain any bug cards, perhaps an "in-progress" dev list, I'd like to have the red-colored Label perhaps represent "Not in progress" or something like that.

The problem with Trello is that if you're simply trying to add a label to a card, if you have too many cards, things get cluttered very fast when trying to apply labels.    I know I'm never going to have "Severe" as a label outside of the bugs list - so why do I have to look at them when labelling a different list?  It can get pretty confusing.    

If I could just keep certain labels as *only* showing up when labelling certain lists, it would be much more organized.

Might have explained it kinda weirdly hope y'all understand what I mean by that.

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2021

@Maxwell Edison you can create 2 red labels, so you can have a red Severe label in Bugs and a red "Not in Progress" label in another list. When you add labels you can filter by typing the name to reduce the number of labels in the list and if you start applying labels in a consistent way Trello will start making suggestions of commonly applied labels.

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2021

@Maxwell Edison 

First the kind of controls around labels is not available. If you set a webhook with idModel as the list, perhaps, you can manage what labels are permissible for that list. 
As for cluttered boards, my solution is to have task its subtasks in a list instead of card progression across different list. In that way once the task is completed it can be archived or archived and moved to another board. That way we get a less cluttered board. Also for repeated task you can have the WBS copied from another board with all the content pre-built. see

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-discussions/Sprint-Lanes/m-p/1597386#M1636

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events