Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inactive ex-staff is admin of a board

Maggie Sarkissian July 20, 2022

Hi there,

We have a Trello board that we use frequently that an ex-staff member is the only admin of. We would like to become an admin of this board, however, it is not part of our team workspace, but a workspace called "Trello Workspace" that we can't join (everyone is a guest).

Is there any way of recovering admin rights to this board? We are reluctant to copy the board since it will erase members from cards.

Thanks,

Maggie

1 answer

0 votes
Vishaal S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2022

Hi Maggie, How are you?

It happens pretty frequently that someone who was the only admin of some boards leaves the Workspace associated with those boards. Our team can't re-assign admin permissions for account security purposes, but I'll be happy to help with some workarounds!

You can upgrade your Workspace to Trello Premium ( only if you have other workspace members) which adds several features to make managing people and boards a bit easier, including the ability for the Workspace admin to take control of all boards in the Workspace. You can sign up for Premium here: https://trello.com/business-class

Another option is if the user's associated email address is a company email address (e.g., jim@yourcompany.com), you probably have access to their inbox by way of your email management system administrator. You can trigger a password reset at https://trello.com/forgot and reset their password, then log into their Trello account. Then, make yourself admin over the boards in question. After that, you should be able to log in as yourself and remove the user from the boards (and maybe make a couple of team members admin over those boards to avoid this situation in the future).

For more details about the above recommendation and other alternatives, see: Changing the admins of a team or board

Do let me know if you've more questions. I'd be happy to help  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events