Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If boards are copied, do they get automatic updates from the original?

Carol Kwon May 17, 2017

Hello, 

I have made a series of checklists that everyone in my group must complete individually. Individual users are asked to "Copy and paste to their own personal boards" the checklists so that everyone has a private copy to work from, and they dont get updates from everyone else. 

I would like to know if I make updates on the original (master), will everyone's personal private copied board get the same material updated? 

Thank you , 

Carol 

2 answers

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2017

Carol, I checked with Trello Support and they told me the copies will not be updated when you edit the original. :)

Carol Kwon May 17, 2017

Thanks Ann! 

Do you know what the best way is for users to get up to date information? My concern is that if a new "to do" item is added and then they copy/paste the board, there will be no way to keep or transfer over the progress they made from the old board. 

What is a good work around?

Thanks! 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2017

It sounds like your process is to create a template board and one or some of the cards have checklists on them.

Are the checklists repeated on a predictable schedule? As a workaround, perhaps you could add new items to the checklist on the card, and then @mention the board so everyone gets a notification that there was an update. Those people would copy/paste that card to their new board.

There wouldn't be a way to automatically merge the progress on the old card's checklist with the newly copied card; that would need to be done manually. If the checklist is being regularly updated and is very long, the frequency & length could be burdensome- hopefully not.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2017

Ignore my last answer, just realised a tag has been added that makes it not relevant.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events