Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to view all my cards, but when I go to "showing all cards" it only shows one!

Emily Garland September 12, 2020

I've got multiple boards populated with dozens of cards and just want to view them all, so I went to Cards -> Sorting by board -> showing cards from all boards -> showing all cards, yet it only shows one card (!)

I've just joined and paid extra to get the business version, but the calendar sync with Google Calendar ALSO doesn't work (it only shows items that were on boards at the time I copied and pasted the URL, negating the whole point of a "sync" function - sooooooo frustrating).

I really just need a simple way to view all my upcoming cards. Seeing as these two functionalities don't seem to work at all, what can I do? (Is Trello actually useless?!) 

Would really love any advice! 

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2020

@Emily Garland the cards view only shows cards that you're a member of. You can use Planyway or Placker to get a visual on all cards across all boards based on due dates whether you're a member of them or not.

The Google calendar synch just happens whenever Google feels like fetching the data from the iCal feed, the Trello calendar doesn't push info to Google so it's not realtime.

Thanks for letting me know. It's only me using it so I am definitely a member of all the cards 🤣 Not all my cards have due dates - is this totally abnormal?

I just want to view them all. Doesn't seem like that should be beyond Trello's capabilities. Probably wouldn't have paid for it had I known before.

So just to get an "all cards" view across multiple boards I'd need to switch to the paid version of Planyway?! Urgh.

Appreciate you taking the time to answer though.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2020

@Emily Garland sorry I misread that you were sorting by due date. The cards view should show you any card you're a member of, on any board. To be a member of a card, you have to have actually joined the card after creating it.

If you have cards with due dates you can also sort the cards view by due date.

If you need something more sophisticated, Placker and Planyway are good solutions but if you just want to see all the cards you're a member of in one spot, the Cards view does that. Maybe you haven't actually joined those cards as a member.

Ah I see. So I have to physically add my face to every card I make in order for them to show up? Thanks for clarifying. Confusing language from Trello when it says "showing all cards"! Adding myself as a member to every single card also feels like a waste of time. So think I'll cancel my subscription and find a better solution. Thanks so much for helping!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2020

@Emily Garland If you added a bunch of cards to multiple boards and then want to see them, essentially, in one board, chances are you didn’t need more than one board, here’s an article I wrote about this:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/How-can-I-see-all-my-Trello-cards-in-one-place/ba-p/1050430

Emily Garland September 13, 2020

Thanks, that's an interesting perspective. I do definitely need more than one board though - that's the whole reason I got Trello! (I have different workflows for different projects so need to vary the labels and butler rules to help me make things more efficient.) But I also wanted an option to occasionally get a quick zoom-out overview of everything at a task level - which is what i thought I had when I saw "view all cards" option - now realise that's not how it works, sadly.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2020

@Emily Garland If your work is genuinely that varied across different boards then seeing every card on every board at once might sound like a good idea when you have just started but it would quickly get very very large. 

Another useful pattern for having multiple boards is to create cards that link to boards, and have a high level checklist on the overview card (or just high level notes) and then you can click through to the board when you need to dive in, that way you can have one master board that mixes both complicated long running projects and quick tasks:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/blog.trello.com/related-cards-related-boards%3fhs_amp=true

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events