I'd like to change the order of my Butler card buttons

Dee Dee Dumond March 27, 2020

I have just started using Butler and have created 7 card buttons in a template that I'll be using for each job.  These buttons will move the card to the next list on my board, but I have different members for each list and it's very important that the buttons are organized in the order I want them used in. 

However I didn't actually know which buttons I wanted at first (since I'm new) and didn't create the buttons in order of when I want them used.  I would like to reorganize them to reflect the steps they need to be used in.

I've searched the FAQ and don't find this topic.  Please help?

1 answer

1 vote
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2020

Hi @Dee Dee Dumond 

Welcome to the Community!

Card and board buttons are displayed in alphabetical order, to change the order, simply add numbers to the front of the button name! That means that they'll appear in the right order and you can re-arrange them whenever you need by changing the numbers.

Please let us know if that helps!

Esme :)

Dee Dee Dumond March 27, 2020

Thank you!!! I didn't notice that!

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2020

No worries at all @Dee Dee Dumond - I'm assuming it worked?

If it did, could you click 'accept answer' so that others who have the same question and search they know that this solution worked?

Don't be a stranger! Ask anything you like and we'll do our very best to give you all the possible answers, we're a friendly bunch!

Season 9 Ama GIF by Friends

kellewic February 20, 2021

While this does work, once you get to 10 buttons the workaround fails since as stated items are sorted alphabetically so "10" comes after "1" and before "2".

Be nice if Trello would just let us drag and drop them in the order we want in the Butler interface and keep an internal sort order instead of relying on the button name for ordering.

Like Judah Ferst likes this
Fryderyk Gajewski February 22, 2021

Hi! you might try a system that usually works with files order etc., which is extending the number of digits in the name of all your files. this means that:

1, 2, 3 should become 01, 02, 03 

and they will naturally become "smaller" numbers than 10, 11, 12, since the first digit 0 is smaller than 1. It works up until 99.

Should you want more than a hundred dedicated butler buttons (LOL), you must add another digit to your system and make it

001, 002, 003, ..., 099, 100, 101, ..., 999 

and so on. I hope it helps :)

Dennis May 23, 2023
That's not how Trello works.

The interesting part is that you can change the order of almost everything... except for these buttons.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events