• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to stop members from changing board layout

Hi,

As the creator and admin for a specific board, i do not want my board users, whether guests or team members, to mess with the board layout, or rearrange lists, or change board colours, or archive tickets.

Users should simply be able to edit and move tickets that have been assigned to them...nothing else!

I think i saw somewhere that this is not possible in Trello, yet SmartQ has had it for years. Problem is that Trello has other features that we like and that SmartQ does not have.

Surely users of a kanban board should not all have the right to rearrange columns whenever they feel like it????

Thx,

Ben

2 answers

@Barend Strydom  You are right that intra board permissions had has always been an issue especially when you have some automation in it. In the absence it may have to a change management exercise perhaps through education. While I have not been involved in using Trello in an enterprise , I had to manage similar projects of this kind in the past. From a programming perspective, there are parts of the architecture I came to realise that remain unchanged or well managed  ... like IDs and short_url. Trello also does well to report changes. I have done some investigation to restrict  movement of card unless it is by the admin... basically use the data to reinstate the card status. 

0 votes
Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jul 08, 2020

@Barend Strydom has telling your board members to not re-arrange the board not worked? Generally dealing with adults on trello, so once I clarify ground rules everyone is fine to follow them :)

If it was as simple as education and mature cooperation, then we might as well have used a shared spreadsheet and asked everyone to please not freeze, hide, sort or delete columns...and we all know how that usually works out. It only takes one person to mess with the equilibrium.

But what absolutely confounds me, is that I'm the only one that appears to consider this an important feature. Surely it can't be!!!

Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jul 09, 2020

See it’s funny you mention that because that’s exactly why I use trello - because I don’t have those same problems I had with spreadsheets. Once I taught everyone filters on trello boards and the fact it doesn’t do they globally but only for that persons view, it was a game changer. Maybe try mentioning that aspect? They can just use the “q” shortcut to see their cards, and that will hopefully eliminate any need for them to change anything that isn’t theirs. 

Like Jen likes this

okay, i can see that you won't be convinced.

if i am part of only a tiny minority that doesn't justify development of an extra feature, then i'll probably just have to accept it for until i can find a better solution.

thanking you

Like Brittany Joiner likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

846 views 14 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you