It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to deal with long board names?

All of my board's have pretty long names. Problem is the names are always cut off, and there is not a single view or place where the board names are fully displayed.

• Left menu bar is not adjustable, and the board names are cut off there
  • At the top of the board when viewed, the name is cut off there
  • On the Home Page's Boards view, the names are cut off there. There is also no list view of the boards where potentially I could see the entire name of the board, but it is only icon view of the boards, where the names are cut off.

Problem becomes worse, if the board names all start with same or similar prefix.. now I have many boards that I cannot differentiate, unless I either hover over the names with the mouse, or open up each board to see if I can tell the difference.

Is there something I'm missing? This looks like something so simple.

2 answers

0 votes

Hi @Lim Park,

I don't think you're missing anything. The trello UI is not as customisable as Jira's.

However, have you considered using teams instead of prefixes? It might help you categorise your boards.

If that doesn't help then I'm afraid you have no option but to come up with a name-shortening workaround. :(

ok thanks for the response @Krisztian Kovacs :(

Maybe one day, I would be able to just drag and expand the left menu...

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Feb 12, 2019

@Lim Park I use a "board of boards" to manage things like various client and project boards. That is, having a card for each board, linked through to the board.

The cards that link to the boards have the bull board name on them. I automate this so that when I create a card in a list in my "board of boards" board, it will automatically copy a template board and link it back to the card.

I automate this with Trellinator, it looks a bit like this (although the specifics would depend on your circumstance):

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/13712d3edd74d7ae4eae4bb56e3395d6

Thanks @Iain Dooley. I'll look into this, but this seems like a very complicated solution to a simple problem I have :) I don't think adjustable left menu bar size and list view of the boards on the home screen is something out of the ordinary to expect from a product of this nature....

Iain Dooley Community Leader Feb 14, 2019

@Lim Park yep, but you'll be waiting a long time before it gets built ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,550 views 13 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you