Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with long board names?

Lim Park February 11, 2019

All of my board's have pretty long names. Problem is the names are always cut off, and there is not a single view or place where the board names are fully displayed.

• Left menu bar is not adjustable, and the board names are cut off there
  • At the top of the board when viewed, the name is cut off there
  • On the Home Page's Boards view, the names are cut off there. There is also no list view of the boards where potentially I could see the entire name of the board, but it is only icon view of the boards, where the names are cut off.

Problem becomes worse, if the board names all start with same or similar prefix.. now I have many boards that I cannot differentiate, unless I either hover over the names with the mouse, or open up each board to see if I can tell the difference.

Is there something I'm missing? This looks like something so simple.

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2019

@Lim Park I use a "board of boards" to manage things like various client and project boards. That is, having a card for each board, linked through to the board.

The cards that link to the boards have the bull board name on them. I automate this so that when I create a card in a list in my "board of boards" board, it will automatically copy a template board and link it back to the card.

I automate this with Trellinator, it looks a bit like this (although the specifics would depend on your circumstance):

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/13712d3edd74d7ae4eae4bb56e3395d6

Lim Park February 14, 2019

Thanks @Iain Dooley. I'll look into this, but this seems like a very complicated solution to a simple problem I have :) I don't think adjustable left menu bar size and list view of the boards on the home screen is something out of the ordinary to expect from a product of this nature....

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2019

@Lim Park yep, but you'll be waiting a long time before it gets built ;)

0 votes
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2019

Hi @Lim Park,

I don't think you're missing anything. The trello UI is not as customisable as Jira's.

However, have you considered using teams instead of prefixes? It might help you categorise your boards.

If that doesn't help then I'm afraid you have no option but to come up with a name-shortening workaround. :(

Lim Park February 12, 2019

ok thanks for the response @Krisztian Kovacs :(

Maybe one day, I would be able to just drag and expand the left menu...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events