How to create a calendar entry when a member is tagged?

David Peterson January 25, 2018

Hello,
I am looking to utilize Trello for my small business and want to implement what I think is very simple functionality, but I can't get it setup properly.

I would like to simply send a notification and create a calendar entry when someone is tagged on card creation. And then if possible a notification when x amount of time is left and one if the task has passed the due date.

So for example, I tag John Smith in a task, it would create a calendar appointment in a sub calendar that he is subscribed to so that if he checks his calendar overview for the week he sees all needed tasks.

The main idea is to be able to create tasks that my employees can easily access on their mobile phones.  My business is a gym so employees always have phones on them and very rarely use computers.

It is important that it only performs the actions when they are tagged so that they aren't being spammed on their phones whenever any cards are created.

As of right now I have found zap (on zapier) that will create a google calendar appointment whenever you are tagged and there is a due date.  This is great, BUT I can only specify username per login.  As in I can do it for myself, but not employees.

I have also seen a notification bot for slack (which we use as well) but I don't see any functionality to isolate it by tagged member names.  Something like a PM to the member when they are tagged would work well.

I am sure that this is something that others have setup at some point.  If it requires an account upgrade (I am at gold right now) or utilizing another software I would most likely be game as long as any costs are reasonable.

Thanks for the help.  I look forward to really using Trello to keep the team organized and productive!

1 answer

0 votes
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2018

Hi David,

This sort of function isn't natively possible in Trello, so I can't give you specifics on how to set it up, unfortunately. Have you checked out Butler for Trello? https://butlerfortrello.com/

Butler allows you to set up automations and actions based on certain events in Trello, and might be a good option. I don't know that Butler will be able to create calendar events, though. To do that, you might need to set up separate Zaps for each employee—that's a technique that we've used in the past at Trello, to setup complicated sequences of events, and then duplicate them for each person.

Natively, Trello's board calendar view will show all cards on a board, not only for a specific person, though the view can be filtered on the web. If you sync that calendar over to another service, all cards on the board will be there.

The Trello mobile apps can also filter for cards assigned to any specific person, so that may also be a good option to consider, so they'll only be viewing their cards on a board!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events