Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically add yourself as a member in all cards you create?

Michael James Dugay July 24, 2017

Is there a way? So when looking at the Board, you can instantly know who created the card.

6 answers

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
James
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2020

Hi all,

I have achieved this by by adding the butler rule:

when a card is added to list "Incoming Requests" by anyone, add member @{username} to the card

If you write {username} into the field rather than a particular user it appears to work - hope this helps!

i1100a April 21, 2020

This worked for me, thanks James! Hopefully Trello add this as an option outside of this rule workaround...

Like Nadja von Massow likes this
Jason_Piper June 9, 2020

Worked for me too! Thanks so much!

Thomas Head-Rapson September 3, 2020

Great workaround, thanks!

+1 for should be a native feature.

inspirednz January 25, 2021

Thanks for sharing this. It works well.
Although I would think this is such a common requirement, I suggest adding it as a Settings option on Boards.

Joseph Nichols May 12, 2021

This works and is awesome, but since the rule is owned by me, then in the Activity Feed, every time John Doe creates a card, it follows the "John Doe created a card" notice with a "Joseph added John Doe to the card". I would prefer that it say "Butler added John Doe to the card" Wouldn't that make more sense? Anybody know if there is a way to do that? or to prevent that butler activity from even being posted?

Sean McClure December 20, 2021

UPDATE: I didn't realize that I actually needed to wrap 'username' with brackets. I did '{username}' and it works great. Thank you!

I'm not sure if this still works, or it might just be me. 

This is what I'm trying

when a card is created in the board by anyone, add member @username to the card

I'm getting this error in the log:

Greenshot 2021-12-20 10.58.11.png

I wonder if it's because I'm on the free version? Or because I'm not specifying a list? I need the rule to apply for the entire board. 

Vikas Bansal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2022

thanks it worked for me

7 votes
Karstein Brynestad September 27, 2019

Chiming in on this. We use Trello as a bug and feature request submit/tracking tool and this would automate away a tedious task. Currently, we dump Trello card creations into Slack, where it's reported who created it. PM then assigns that person to the card at first moment of consideration, to keep them updated.

As the username of the creator is posted to Slack, this would be a quick fix, wouldn't it? The easiest might be to expose the {{cardcreator}} variable to Butler, like the {{cardname}} already is.

I would personally categorize this as a "should-have" and not a "nice-to-have" as larger Trello boards quickly get messy since busy humans rarely remember to add themselves to a card while creating it.

@Rachel we tried this with Butler as well but seems like you can only set up a rule like this for yourself. There's too much work to get the entire org to set Butler up like that. As mentioned exposing {{cardcreator}} should make it possible.

V W January 25, 2020

Agree this is a "should have" and not a "nice to have". It's kind of ridiculous that it's not already a possibility. You'd expect it to be a behavior available by default.

Like inspirednz likes this
Karstein Brynestad May 5, 2020

In the lack of an "acccepted answer" functionality like in StackOverflow, please see @James ' answer below. That worked for me as well!

E.g. the {cardcreator} I'm mentioning here is already available as @{username}

6 votes
Robin Collin June 12, 2019

It would be nice to have this feature in the near future. It's aweful as a trelloboard-leader to assign members to the cards they made for themselves, and it'd be easier to see firsthand, wo created them (for summary meetings e.g.)

flexbed July 11, 2019

I agree! It would be very nice-to-have feature

Karstein Brynestad May 5, 2020

Already available per answer by @James below. The @{username} variable with Butler ("add person to card") will do exactly as requested.

Thomas Head-Rapson September 3, 2020

+1 for native option

inspirednz January 25, 2021

Another +1 for native option.

4 votes
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2017

Hey Michael

There's not a way to have Trello automatically assign you to a card that you create., however if you tap the space bar when hovered over a card, it will assign you to the card as a shortcut

Michael James Dugay July 24, 2017

Thanks for this tip.. :)

Like # people like this
Jasmine Pocza February 1, 2022

This is exactly what I needed! I know how to create an automation to add me during card creation, but what I needed was a way to quickly add me to a bunch of cards that were already created.... this did the trick in about 20 seconds! Thanks so much Matthew!!

1 vote
Rachel September 11, 2019

I have a rule in Butler that every time I create a card I am added, but I don't know if it will work for multiple people on a team? 

Jason Bagley December 5, 2022

Nevermind, I was wrong in my info.

0 votes
Nadja von Massow November 18, 2023

I can see this is an old thread. We'd need this, too. Has this been implemented now as a board-wide option that can be integrated into a template?

Joseph Nichols November 20, 2023

Yes, you don't need Butler anymore. Just create a rule (under Automations):

when a card is added to the board by anyone, add member @{username} to the card

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events