Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to automate a "wait time" step before the next action

Hi.

Our team wants to set up an automation that looks like:

• When a Card moves to the "Complete" column:
    • Wait 30 Days
    • Archive this Card

And that's it. 

How can we achieve this?

Thanks,
–Gigi

1 answer

0 votes
Felix Atlassian Team Aug 10, 2021

Hey @Gigi 

there's not really a 'wait' functionality, but we do something similar to this, where we make a new list every month, and automatically archive old lists. I wrote up how to do this here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Automating-cleanup-A-way-to-use-Butler-to-keep-your-board-tidy/ba-p/1685337

Felix

Hi @Felix 

Thank you! We are giving this a try. It looks promising!

I tried this; it didn't work. I got this message this morning:

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 9.38.35 AM.png

Can you help me figure out what went wrong?

Thank you.

Felix Atlassian Team Sep 01, 2021

If you click through that notification, it should take you to the Butler command log, and tell you why the rule failed to run successfully.

My first guess would be that Butler could not find a list named (exactly) "Complete 2021-08" to archive, or a list named "Complete" to rename.

Like Gigi likes this

You are correct! The instructions didn't indicate we needed a list that has the date in it to start out. I will try it again real quick with the renamed Complete list (Complete 2021-08), and let you know.

How do I run the Butler command with the press of a button? 

Hi @Felix –

Thanks again for your reply. I found the little rocketship. Now, this Butler command is giving me this error:

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 10.04.43 AM.png

What does this mean; do we need two complete columns, one dated and the other non-dated? Maybe I have these steps out of order?

Should "Create a new list named Complete" be before "Rename list 'Complete' to 'Complete {date-1d~YYYY-MM}'"? I followed the instructions regarding step placement.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 10.08.30 AM.png

Thank you.

–Gigi

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,318 views 28 40
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you