Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: Create a new list on a board when a card is added to a list in another board

K Walters April 3, 2021

Hi all,

Help needed please! I need to set up a command that when a card in one board (board A) is added to a list in that board that it creates a new list in another board (board B) with the same title of the card and copies the card to the new list.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks

K

2 answers

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

Are you using Jira or Trello? Based on your terminology, it sounds more like Trello. Butler is the native automation tool in Trello, but I don't think there is an action that would allow you to create a new list in the destination board. 

Zapier should be the way to go. I've worked with clients and have created automation that creates a new board when a card is created and uses the card title as the board name. So I'm sure there is an action around there that says "create a list and name it based on the title of the card".

Zapier should also be able to copy the card as well as a secondary action. Would you want t complete copy, or should it be synced in some way so if a change happens on one card, the other card gets updated?

K Walters April 6, 2021

Thanks for responding.  I managed to figure it out using Butler, but good to know Zapier is an option.

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2021

@K Walters ah, yes, I had another look and you're right - it can be achieved through Butler with the below statement:

when a card is added to list "X", copy the card to the bottom of list "{triggercardname}" on board "Board B"

Like K Walters likes this
K Walters April 6, 2021

@Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows I used {cardname} instead of {triggercardname} and that worked.

0 votes
Stephan Shere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2021

Hello K,

I am making a guess and what your question is -- 

You have an issue on one board, and want to see the same issue on a second board, or have it move to a new board once it's transitioned into a specific stage.

You can accomplish both by creating custom JQL for each the second board that and shows the same issues -- the problem with this is they will share status on each issue and transition through the same stages on the second board.

Ideally, it sounds like you'd benefit from Jira Automation and allow for the Issues transitioned into a specific status would be transitioned into a secondary board, for example a Development Board vs a Quality Assurance board, and once the Development Board reaches the testing column, the issue would be created in the To Do column on the Quality Assurance board, and once the issue is transitioned to done on the Quality Assurance board, it would be moved to External Review or Done on the development board.

You can try the following Automation addon and test it out to see if it fits your specific use case scenerio: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/automation

Hopefully that gives some insight into solving your problem and helps you find a working solution.

K Walters April 4, 2021

Thanks. I will check out the link.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events