Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you set Trello notifications per Board?

Andra Babigian March 24, 2021

I want different notification settings per Board I'm on. Is there a way to do this?

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2021

@Andra Babigian depending on what you mean by "settings" my BenkoBoard product might be suitable:

http://www.benkoboard.com/

Its primary purpose is to allow you to use Trello as a Gmail client, however it also centralises your Trello notifications in one spot and dramatically reduces the type of notifications you receive, as well as giving you some configurability about what you see:

- When you're added to a card, it unwatches the card automatically so you're only ever notified about being added to a card and mentioned in a comment

- When you're added to a card, it creates a linked copy of that card in your BenkoBoard inbox

- When you're mentioned in a comment, it creates a linked card with the comment text in your BenkoBoard inbox

- You can set that notification cards (either added to or mentioned in) from particular boards, optionally when added or mentioned by specific members, go to different lists, don't create linked cards, are automatically assigned to a particular member or have labels added to them (which is useful for creating automations regarding notifications in particular boards or from particular members)

Andra Babigian March 25, 2021

I'm referring to Comments not emails. Can this allow me to set-up the following:
5 Boards - I want no notifications
3 Boards - I only want to see Comments directly to me but no other notifications

Do you have a demo or video showing a set up like this?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

@Andra Babigian Yes I know you're referring to comments not emails, that's why I started my comment with:

Its primary purpose is to allow you to use Trello as a Gmail client, however it also centralises your Trello notifications 

Regarding your desired setup, the only thing that BenkoBoard does to reduce overall notifications is unwatch cards you're added to. There are 2 main ways that you wind up getting tonnes of Trello notifications:

1) When you are added to a card, you're automatically watching a card, which means you get notified whenever someone sneezes within earshot of the card. This is the one that BenkoBoard resolves: whenever you're added to a card, it automatically unwatches the card

2) When you add a comment to a card. There is a "Watch" checkbox that is checked by default. You only have to uncheck this once.

With those two things in place, so long as you don't manually watch any board lists or cards, you will get dramatically fewer notifications.

In addition to that, whenever you're added to a card, or mentioned in a comment, you get a linked card in your BenkoBoard inbox, but you can control how that happens.

SO.... in your particular use case:

5 Boards - I want no notifications

You will still get notified by the Trello app (desktop/mobile/email if you have it enabled, although you will probably want to disable email notifications) ...

... BUT you can configure BenkoBoard to not add a linked card for any cards you're added to or comments you're mentioned in, in those 5 boards. This means you will get a "ping" from Trello when someone adds or mentions you, but you won't see a card in your BenkoBoard inbox.

3 Boards - I only want to see Comments directly to me but no other notifications

As above, you will still get a "ping" from Trello when added to a card or mentioned in a comment, however you can configure BenkoBoard to create linked cards in your BenkoBoard inbox only when you're mentioned in a comment and not when you're added to a card.

I don't have a video showing this exact setup but BenkoBoard has a free trial so if you sign up and connect to Trello I can do that configuration for you:

https://app.benkoboard.com/

Just email me on team@benkoworks.com when you've connected to Trello and I'll finalise the setup (the interface for managing the notifications is pretty hard to use so it's easier for me to do it for you than to describe how to do it).

Note that since you don't want to use BenkoBoard as your Gmail client, you can ignore all the setup instructions around connecting email.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events