How do you disable default "Watch" for the cards in Trello

Woo Kim December 20, 2018

This started happening earlier in the week, but whenever I create a new card now it has eyeball added by default, which is the "watch" action for getting notifications. I do not use notifications and I do not like the eyeball symbol taking up extra space in my lists.

I just cannot figure out how to disable this. Anyone know how to get rid of this?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2018

Hi @Woo Kim , the Trello Team received a lot of feedback about this autowatching feature that was recently enabled in Trello.   As a result they are planning to disable the auto-watch feature on creation of new cards for now.  However there is still an auto-watch enabled for any user that changes a due date on a card, that one will remain in effect for the time being. This change will take affect by end of today (Thursday).

We are hearing from users that it has been resolved for them.

I hope this helps and have a great day,

Jodi

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2018

Hi @Woo Kim can you please confirm if the autowatch is no longer the default when you create a card?

Thanks,

Jodi

Woo Kim December 20, 2018

@Jodi LeBlanc I just re-logged in and autowatch is no longer the default when creating new cards. Thank you so much for your help with this one Jodi. Much appreciate it!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2018

That's wonderful to hear @Woo Kim - so happy that the autowatch is no longer default for you. 
Have a fantastic evening!

Jodi

Daniel Mack January 7, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc Is there any plans to change the autowatch for changing cards with a due date, or making it as a setting to disable? I am using Trello for individual project management, I really don't need the watch feature at all and when autowatch was implemented it really started clogging up my inbox. 

Like Debs Mackay likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2019

Hi @Daniel Mack I am not aware of any plans to change the autowatch for changing cards with due dates at this time, however I know that the Trello Team is monitoring the community threads for user experience. You may also wish to contact Trello support directly to explain the impact this change is having on you.

Here is the link: https://trello.com/en/contact

Thanks so much,

Jodi

ashley.merrell April 12, 2019

I am personally anticipating the day that autowatch is turned off alltogether- I absolutely despise the icon and my board is just for me, so I'm always watching every card. It only makes me frustrated, and it's one of the only things that doesn't align with the simplicity that trello promotes itself for.

Like # people like this
Susan Markgraf January 11, 2022

Any way to turn off the watch feature all together? It's one of those little things that really drives me nuts! Ha!

Thank you.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Laura Manescu April 18, 2023

This is 2023 and the problem is still there: I personally have not found any way to disable the watch eye for any new card - it seems the eye is added whenever I attach a resource to a card (me, for example); I have looked at my personal Trello or Atlassian account settings - absolutely no way to change this setting. I hate the eye, it is driving me crazy, please make it go away or let me know how can I get rid of it forever! I absolutely despise it.

Thank you!

0 votes
River October 13, 2019

Me too - please let the users control if they want the auto-watch, I manually turn it off every time I see it on, its an annoying UX.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events