Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I allow someone to add a card, comment and vote, but not edit the admin settings of a card?

Jessica Lango April 9, 2018

I want to be able to have a simplified interface like when someone is a public member viewing a board or when they are an observer but still be able to add tickets. How do i add this funtionality with allowing them all the admin features of having them be a team member?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2018

Hi Jessica,

Trello doesn't allow non-members of a board to create cards. These are the permissions you can assign for non-members in your board settings:

• View the board and cards
  • Vote (using the Voting Power-Up)
  • Comment on cards

If you want people to create cards, they'll need to join the board by being invited, clicking an invitation link, or by being in the same team that the board is in. At that point, they can also:

• Create and archive cards
  • Create and archive lists
  • Move cards up and down / across lists

You'll still have control over permission settings for the board. But if you want folks to add cards, they also will be able to move and archive them.

Cheers,
Daniel

Jessica Lango April 10, 2018

@Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_Thank you for your reply. Let me ask you another question, I was hopthing that the buisness class license would let me make the changes I was looking for, but I am not sure it will.

A little back story on what we are trying to accomplish. We are trying to make a scrum board for our customers to use at an annual event. They submit Ideas and they get filtered into a unique topic category. We want them to be able to up add cards, up-vote cards already on the board, and add comments to other peoples cards. We don't want them adding checklists, archiving, changing colors, or moving them around, just the basics. We have as a back up a zapier connection to forms on our website to create cards for the different boards, but i would be nice to have it all be on the same page.  

I thought maybe purchasing business would fix that, all I can see is that I can make someone an observer. But if I make the board public and adjust the settings to public, and as admins we have our own logins and are part of the board team, do I really need the business class if I am not looking to manage my team?  I hope that makes sense.

Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2018

I don't think you need business class to do what you're trying to accomplish (unless you need more Power-Ups - sounds like you do want the Voting Power-Ups which means you'd need to upgrade if you wanted to use any more Power-Ups on that board).

Using Zapier to submit cards gets you the restrictions you want, but also prevents people from voting/commenting on the cards.

There's just no way to do what you're looking for now natively- you're going to have to add people to the board if you want them to be able to create new cards directly on the board. You might be able to solve both needs by using Zapier as you suggested to create the cards, but that feels a little clunky. It sounds like a really cool idea though! Given the right resources, you might be able to develop your own Power-Up to allow adding cards directly on the board without being a member or something like that.

Permissions weren't explicitly listed here, but it looks like there might be more granularity on what you can set in the future. Atlassian made this statement recently:

Currently, we are investing heavily in making Trello even more awesome by adding features like new admin and security controls that our Business and Enterprise Tier customers care most about.

1 vote
Emily Alten August 7, 2020

I am looking for the exact same capabilities. In my case it is so my clients can make feature requests and then track their progress.

Therefore, I would need clients to be able to add cards (to request a feature), upvote cards (for features already requested - as a way for us to prioritize), and comment. However, I would want only Team Members to be able to move and archive cards.

We have too many clients and it would be way too much of a hassle to have to invite clients who want to add a request. Ideally I could just give them the link and send them on their merry way.

Is Trello considering this as an option in the future?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events