Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I sort cards in a list by Alphabetical order of the 'name' who they are assigned to?

Jess Beck July 7, 2020

Eg cards assigned to Anna appear in the list first. Cards assigned to Bella appear next?

2 answers

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2020

Hi @Jess Beck 

Welcome to the Community, it's great to have you here!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this can be done with Butler.

If you set up a rule, so that whenever 'Annabel' is added to the card, Butler applies the grey "Annabel" to the card (which won't show up on the front of the card), you could then order the list by the labels. Or you could ask the team to assign their labels when they created the card (which would save Butler Quota).

To make this a Butler rule, it would look like this:

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 07.10.44.pngScreenshot 2020-07-12 at 07.10.57.pngScreenshot 2020-07-12 at 07.11.03.png

Then you could have something that looks like this:

So the first thing is to set the trigger, in this case when a card with the "Annabel" label is added to the list:Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 07.04.12.png

Then you want to sort the list by the label. In this case, I've added random names to grey labels. To get the extra spaces, click the little + icon and it will give you another dropdown for the labels

Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 07.05.08.png

Then the end rule will look like this:Screenshot 2020-07-12 at 07.05.17.png

You would need to repeat it for each label, so you'd need to save the first rule, then click on 'copy' in the Butler rule page, and change the trigger to the next person in the list, so in my case, I would click copy, remove the trigger for Annabel and add another trigger for Bella, then rinse and repeat for all the names.

I don't know if that's the sort of thing that you're looking for, but that's how I would do it!

Let me know if this helps, or if I've missed something let me know and I'll try again!

Esme :)

0 votes
Keli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2020

Hi @Jess Beck 

Great question. Right now, Trello doesn't have a way to sort cards based on the card membership, and existing card sorting options are alphabetical card name, date created, and due date.

As a workaround, you could set up individual lists for each member on the board and use our automation integration Butler to sort the cards alphabetically by title when the card is moved into the list.

I hope this suggestion helps! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events