How can I create 120 cards using a template?

Klaas May 8, 2020

I have a new project starting where each section of a book is a card, that will be tracked through the design process. How can I add cards for all 120 sections using a template I've created?

I can add multiple cards by pasting in the names of the sections from my spreadsheet, but then it just creates blank cards.

Whenyou pase into the "make card from template" button, it does not ask to make multiple cards.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2020

@Klaas what's the nature of your template? What does it contain?

Klaas May 9, 2020

It's simply a couple tags, two custom feilds, and a simple checklist, but adding that to all 100 cards has taken me a good 2 days of work! If I'm going to do this in the future, I'll need a better way.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2020

@Klaas you could use Butler to set the cards up by triggering a command to copy the checklist, add the labels and set the fields when the cards are created then it will do it for each card you paste in from your spreadsheet:

2020-05-12 at 9.04 pm.png

Like Klaas likes this
Klaas May 12, 2020

Hi Ian, perfect, that works. for this to work properly, you have to have a paid subscription.

Klaas

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2020

@Klaas it'll work on the free plan but you'll run out of commands pretty quickly :)

1 vote
Klaas May 9, 2020

Hopefully this is a good solution, but it would be even better if the functionality of the Create card from Template feild acted the same as the normal Create new Card feild, where if you paste in lots of text with returns in between from a spreadsheet, it would offer to create multiple cards.

How do I submit an improvement request?

1 vote
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2020

If you're wanting to import a spreadsheet where the columns in the sreadsheet created cards and populate custom fields, I think @Antonio Panea is working on something cool that can help you out with that :) 

Other options, or if you're trying to update standard fields and not necessarily custom fields would be to use Import 2, or you could use Zapier to set up a rule to create cards from a Google Sheet row, and i *believe* this would let you update custom fields too, although I haven't tried that. (Keep in mind I think you'd have to pay for Import 2 or Zapier, though.)

Antonio Panea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2020

Hi guys,

thanks for reaching out @Klaas @Brittany Joiner ! Happy to give you a hand!

Yep, as @Brittany Joiner said we are going to deployed a new feature during this weekend in Crmble Power-Up  which will allow you to import data and create new Trello cards from a Excel/CSV file and fulfill Crmble fields as per your request automatically.

So if you want to take a look on it and you need any help we will be more than happy to help you through the process!

I hope it helps!

Cheers

Toni

Klaas May 9, 2020

@Antonio Panea Great, I'd love to see how this works! LMK how we can look at this together. Thanks!

Like Antonio Panea likes this
Antonio Panea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2020

Hi Klaas,

You can set up a meeting with the Crmble customer support team here:

https://calendly.com/hellocrmble/meeting-minutes-with-crmble?month=2020-05

They will love to help you through the process.

Cheers

Toni

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events