Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting custom fields for given cards on Trello via REST API

Deleted user September 14, 2020

Hi,

I'm trying to build a dashboard using data related to a board and it's lists, cards and custom fields. 

I have successfully retrieved the board, lists and cards data via REST API. However, I've come across a few problems when trying to get custom fields data. Mainly because the custom fields data does not contain any information to indicate which card it belongs to.  

I've been trying to get the custom fields for cards on a Trello board via REST API.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/trello/rest/api-group-actions/#api-actions-id-card-get

So I've been creating a JDBC connection using a URL created by following the documentation from the link above. 

However, this returns a list of all the custom fields in the board, but it does not contain any data that will allow me to join with data related to the cards in the board. 

Does anyone know how I can get the kind of data related to custom fields that I'm looking for? Thanks! 

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2020

@[deleted] the custom fields API is a bit of a labyrinth. You can see my complete implementation if you start from here:

https://github.com/iaindooley/trellinator-libs/blob/master/Card.js#L1306

Basically you get a list of custom field definitions for the board, then you use the IDs to get individual values on a per card basis.

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2020

@[deleted]  What you have gotten are the definitions. You need to get custom field items from card.  

Get Custom Field Items for a Card

GET /1/cards/{id}/customFieldItems

Get the custom field items for a card.

Deleted user September 15, 2020

hi, thanks for replying

I'm trying to get the custom fields for all cards - without having to create a URL for each and every card on the board.

I've used the following URL: 

https://api.trello.com/1/boards/{BOARD_ID}/cards/?fields=all&customFieldItems=true

This appears to get all the custom fields in the board, but does not contain data that identifies the card it belongs to.

I want to join all the custom fields with their corresponding cards. perhaps I'm using the wrong definitions? thanks 

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2020

@[deleted]  I have been using a python wrapper for Trello API. To get the card CF you need to fetch each card then get each CF. And when you want to update or add a CF you need the CF definition (object) for that CF because the definition will define, amongst other things, the type_field like number, list, date...etc. 

The definitions are defined at the board level. 

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events