Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Repeating Cards to appear Quarterly

Mark Golden December 4, 2017

I have set up several monthly tasks to repeat on my Trello board on a given day each month successfully.  

But I am utterly stymied getting a quarterly repeating task set up.

For example.  I have a quarterly task.  I want it to show up on the first day of February 2018 and repeat every three months thereafter.  

> I create the card with the next (first) due date: February 1, 2018.

> Select "Repeat" from the right hand menu

> Moving through the buttons of pull down menus, I set:

- "Repeats" = "Monthly"

- "On the" = "1st"

- "At" = 12:00 PM

- "Every" = "3 months"

- and set the list and position I desire.  

Problem is:  Trello insists on the following result.  "You will see this card repeat on January 1, 2018 and April 1, 2018."

It appears that when you set up a card to repeat in an interval measured in multiple months, Trello always assumes the NEXT month from the time of task creation MUST be the next occurrence. 

I suppose I can wait until January to create this repeating task, at which time the next occurrence that Trello will calculate will be correct.

But really: Is there no way to set up quarterly (or semi-annual, or every other month) tasks more than 30 days ahead of time?  What I really want (need) to do (to get off my old task management software) is be able to put ALL my recurring tasks into Trello.  

6 answers

1 vote
Sal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2023

Great news, Trellists!

We've recently added new functionality to Trello's built-in scheduled automation, which allows you to create new commands using a multi-day selection. You can even use the command find card to create scheduled repeating cards!

To learn more about these changes, please take a look at our community post here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/More-Power-for-your-scheduled-Trello-Card-Automations/ba-p/2331465.

Dayna Deaner March 17, 2024

Thanks so much @Sal 

So basically what you are saying is the "Repeat" power-up has unresolved limitations and we should create all recurring tasks in Trello's built-in "Automations", correct?

0 votes
Den B March 10, 2019

+1

0 votes
Karena Kreger November 2, 2018

This is definitely a drawback. I'm wondering if simply adding a field to "set next date" to the options in the repeater would give us the flexibility we need. Then when entered, it moves the repeat start date to that next one then follows the designated interval from there.

Setting up your year for quarters or any other interval seems like a very frequently needed use case.

0 votes
Sally Murphy January 9, 2018

Hi I am having the same difficulty & have looked at Zapier and it doesn't seem to solve the problem.  I subscribed to the paid for Trello because I wanted both the calendar option and also the card repeater.  I want to set a card with a due date of 1st March 1st June 1st Sept 1st Dec, but the card repeater wont let me do this.

0 votes
Mark Golden December 6, 2017

Thank you.  That is disappointing, but I appreciate the answer.

0 votes
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2017

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, there is no way to schedule a repeating card for later on. In your case, what you describe is correct, that Trello will always repeat the card on the first date that matches the repeat schedule, and then every whatever frequency you specify. I know this is a little limiting—I've had to work around that myself, but that's how the Repeater works for now. I'll make sure our team knows you're looking for a little more flexibility there!

You can also consider setting up card repeats through Zapier, which has more options for frequency or repeat schedules, so might end up fitting your needs a little better. You can check it out here: https://zapier.com/zapbook/trello/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events