Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force a link to a trello board to open in a browser, not the Trello app

Lucy Thomson November 11, 2018

Hi all

I'm creating a board to help people get up to speed with Trello, and one of the lists contains cards with links to inspiring Trello boards in the description field. Currently when you click these links it opens the boards in Trello, thus taking you away from my help board. Can I force Trello to open these boards in a browser rather than in Trello?

Many thanks,

Lucy

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2018

@Lucy Thomson this is a bit of a hack but if you put your board URLs into a shortener they will open in a browser then redirect to trello rather than opening in Trello.

For example I just created this link using goo.gl to one of my private boards:

https://goo.gl/zXSnzB

If you put this into a card description, comment or attachment then click on it, it'll open in a web browser, then redirect to a board (which you won't be able to see :)

Lucy Thomson November 12, 2018

Thanks for your speedy response Iain!

Not the answer I was after, but I can make a hack workaround work :-)

Thanks again,

Lucy

Nope, that didn't work for me. When I click the bit.ly link in Trello, it opens the board in Trello :-(

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2018

@Lucy Thomson Are you doing this from the Trello desktop app, the iOS app or the web app? Also what is your default web browser? Does the link initially open up in the web then switch back to the app? 

Update: The bit.ly works when added as a comment, but not when in the description. Pretty frustrating, but I might be able to make it work. Just won't be as pretty if I add all this stuff as comments instead of the description :-(

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2018

@Lucy Thomson that seems almost impossible!! What if you add it to the card as a link attachment rather than in the description? Also, have you tried with goo.gl instead of bit.ly?

@Iain Dooleyturns out that was impossible! It is working in the description field for me now - not sure what I did wrong when I was testing it earlier. Oh, and I started with goo.gl but it wouldn't create a link for me - I think they have removed the service to new users as of end March.

During my experimentation I added as an attachment. If I added the Trello link it added it as a Trello board link and opened in the app. If I added the bit.ly link it worked but was ugly and would have been confusing to users.

Thanks for your help (and persistence). I think I'm good to go :-)

Lucy

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2018

@Lucy Thomson rock on, glad you got it working. Note that when you add a link to a card you can edit the name that appears, so you can have a bit.ly link added as an attachment with the name "Something something inspiration board".

You can either set this in the attachment name when you click the "Attachment" button and paste in a link, or edit it after pasting the link directly onto the card by clicking the text of the link rather than the little arrow at the end.

Either sounds like it's sorted :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events