Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting using multiple wildcards

Matt Page June 21, 2021

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Trello and trying to get my head around Butler and wildcards.

Basically I want to extract various chunks of text from the description when a new card is added / moved and put them into custom fields. I've worked out how to do it OK for one, but I can't see how to do it for 4-7 different fields. 

So as an example my description might be 

Name: Bob Smith

Job Title: Manager

Company: Acme Ltd

Order#: 123456

I want to pull the text from each line (after the colon) into a different custom field. I thought if I included some other identifiers, regex style I might be able to pull this off, but seem to be struggling.

Does anyone have any ideas (or a totally different way of doing this?)

Thanks

Matt

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2021

@Matt Page 

Definitely doable. Make sure you include \n\n for each new line. 

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2021

@Matt Page 

For larger dataset, I would suggest using HTTP request to an endpoint. The {httpresponse} will be in key:value pair which you can use it to set the custom field values. You can extend your endpoint to handle the CF updates. 

See https://trello.com/c/ULsKwRLh/43-parse-card-description-for-key-value-pairs-simpl

This is a sample output from Butler console for a more complex card description from a webform from Contalist. It shows the http request from Butler.

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 7.49.05 AM.jpg

Matt Page June 23, 2021

Thanks, that looks really helpful. I'm still very new to Trello, let alone doing more advanced stuff like this, but I also had a strong suspicion it was possible somehow.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2021

@Matt Page 

It can be done with Butler. You just need to be very careful in building out the command. Here, I am relying more on the structure and using the names (keys like name, address, email etc) instead of hardcoding. It can be use for any card as long as the structure remains unchanged.

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

@Matt Page you can actually use regular expressions directly in Butler, can you post your existing rule that's working?

Matt Page June 30, 2021

@Iain Dooley Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - I sort of forgot about the thread!

So at the moment I have 6-7 rules along similar lines to:

when a card with a description containing "</\>||¬¬{*}<\/>||¬¬" is added to list "engine room", set custom field "Project or BAU" to "{wildcard1}"

But if I put another expression in there I can't get it to work. Ideally I'd be able to have just the one rule that found 6-7 expressions and sent them to 6-7 different rules. But as I say, my method is working, it's just a bit cumbersome.

Matt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events