Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to Board. Get originating email address

pauasoftwarenz January 30, 2018

All emails to our 'support@ourdomain.com' get forwarded by our google apps email system to a Trello 'New Items' list.

Unfortunately the email address of the person sending the email address is not visible and I cant see how to get it.

This means that whilst we know the name of the person raising the support request we have no way of replying without delving into the support email account.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2018

Hey George!

Unfortunately, there isn’t really a way to fix this using the exact method you have set up. Trello currently sets up its Email to Board so that the cards are generated by a Trello user. You’ll see their username in the long Email to Board email address. There currently isn’t a way around this.

What you can do, however, is use a service like Zapier (https://zapier.com).

Have one of you IT admins sign up for a Zapier account using that support@ email address. Then they can create a Zap to create a card in Trello whenever an email is received. Zapier lets you edit the content of the card body and populate it with content from the triggering email, so you can easily set up a template that churns out a card description like this:

Subject: Email subject
Blah blah blah card description here blah blah blah.

That way you can see who sent it and reply easily.

I’m more than happy to assist in setting up a Zapier zap to make this work - just let me know :)

pauasoftwarenz January 31, 2018

Thanks for the reply.

I have set up a Zap and it appears to do the job.

Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2018

Happy to help, @pauasoftwarenz! Please don't hesitate to ask if you run into any issues with this setup or have any more questions. Have a good day :)

QuackingPlums March 3, 2021

Hi @Devon Henderson , is it too late to ask for a step-by-step on how to setup zapier, or do I need to start another thread?

I'm also having an issue with sender email addresses not showing up in cards!

Like Fabio Barros da Silva likes this
0 votes
Tammy Shi February 21, 2022

how to populate that sender's email to a custom fields such as Customer Email ID?

0 votes
scr4bble June 11, 2018

Hello @Devon Henderson,

this "email to board" feature is really great ! We have just discovered it recently and we really like it :) Good job whoever designed it !
The only thing we miss there is to see the sender email in the trello comment. I see the subject is already present there, written by bold at the top of the comment. Would it be possible to add there the sender email address as well ? It should not be hard to do and it would help a lot.

EDIT: I have just realized that the feature we use is actually called "Email for this card" while email address is in format "NICKNAME+HASH_1+HASH_2+HASH_3@boards.trello.com" 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events