Email notification hyperlinks when card name contain file extensions and Outlook 2016 for Mac

Igor June 1, 2017

So we have a Zapier zap adding cards to our Trello board when files are uploaded to Box.com. The filename is set as the card name. 

Usually we could click the hyperlinks in the email notifications within Outlook 2016 for Mac and they would open the card in our default browser. Now it seems you've changed the format of the hyperlinks from:

a) https://trello.com/c/XXXXXXXX/XXX-filename-xlsx, to
b) https://trello.com/c/XXXXXXXX/XXX-filename.xlsx

The change from dash (-) to full stop (.) causes Outlook to believe a file is being downloaded and promts us whether or not we'd like to proceed with the download instead of opening a broser window. 

Is anyone aware of a workaround?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2017

Hello, Igor!

That's definitely an inconvenience. I am not a user of Outlook 2016, so I don't know if there's a setting in there that can be changed. However, you can fix this via Zapier! It will be a bit of setup work, but it will get the job done.

What you want to do is open your Zap that creates the card from the file. We're going to add another step to the end, after the step that makes the Trello card.

Click the plus sign to add a step at the end, and then find the Zapier Text Formatter tool. Then set it up like this:

ScreenClip.png

This splits the Trello card name before the period in the file extension, and then only keeps what appears before it. So your card name will essentially just lose the file extension, which should make the URL behave properly. 

Let me know if this helps or if you have more questions!

Igor June 3, 2017

I had no idea Zapier could do that. Thanks a lot! This worked (with the adjustment that I had to create the step before the card in Trello and then reference the card name to the created value) as a workaround and will definitely prove useful in the future.

Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2017

Happy to help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events