Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Mode stops when selection continues past editable area

Charisma Riley February 12, 2019

Just recently, Trello has started behaving oddly when I select text and attempt to type over it. If I do not release the right mouse button *exactly* when I reach the outer edge of the editable region, edit mode ends immediately. I end up typing all sorts of Trello shortcuts, thinking I'm still typing. It's really frustrating. I have to make sure that after I select text, I stop exactly at the edge of the text area and bring the cursor back into the box. Here are some screenshots that may be able to help. (I tried to find a support section for Trello, but couldn't find where to log issues, so that's why I'm bringing it here.)

This is me selecting something, and my cursor manages to remain inside the editable area:

Trelllo_EditSelection1.png

As you can see, if I manage to lift my finger off of the mouse button before my cursor exits the text area, then the field remains in edit mode. However, If I do not lift my finger off the button exactly at the boundary of the editable area, it bumps me out of text mode:

Trelllo_EditSelection2.png

This is *super* frustrating.

If there is a workaround or an official way to log this bug, please let me know. Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2019

@Charisma Riley hi there, if you're clicking/dragging to select text you would normally use the left mouse button on a 2 or 3 button pointing device. I can't try to reproduce the behaviour you're describing by using a right mouse button because I'm on a trackpad which uses a double tap for right-click (on macOS) but first thing to try is using the left mouse button for text selection rather than the right mouse button.

If that doesn't work, then can you please let us know what browser/platform you're running Trello in?

Charisma Riley February 12, 2019

I'm sorry that I misspoke, because of course I press the left mouse button when selecting. I obviously need more coffee, haha. I will fix the description. At any rate, I am running Chrome browser on Win 10 Pro.

Jarrett Morgan March 29, 2019

Recently I started experiencing the same issue on Chrome and Win 10. When I use a standard mouse (that has a scroll wheel) to click and drag with the left mouse button, Trello will exit out of edit mode if my cursor doesn't stop right at the edge. I've used Trello for a few years and it just started doing this. It makes it difficult to edit text on all cards since I'm constantly needing to select text to the beginning of the line. Can Trello revert back to the old behavior?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2019

@Charisma Riley @Jarrett Morgan I haven't been able to reproduce this on Mac but can you log a ticket with support@trello.com? 

I recently logged another ticket regarding inability to select text in comments that they have been able to  reproduce and are in the process of fixing, this may be related. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events