Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Due Date Completion - For All Board Members?

Emily Valbonesi September 19, 2019

I have a board for the staff of my Toronto office, and would like to add tasks for all employees to complete (ex - reading and signing new policy by X date). 

If I create a card with a due date, and someone marks it as complete, does it mean that all the task will show complete for all members on that card? Or will the task show complete for the employee who ticked the complete box?

I'm sure this is a fairly simple answer, but I am new to Trello and want to understand how things work before rolling it out to my team,

Thank you. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

@Mohamed Adel is correct. The completion flag is associated with the task. Assigning a task to multiple people is like saying "One of you should complete this task" not "All of you should complete this task"

You might consider creating your board as a list per person. When the person completes the task, they can move it to a Completed list so that the only tasks in their list are their active tasks.

Sorry, can you clarify for me what you mean by "creating your board as a list per person"? 

Do you mean creating a card for each person, and assigning the task to be complete there?

C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

Your board would contain a list for each person. For example, as list for Judy, a list for Craig, a list for John, etc. You would create cards in each person's list for things that they need to do with due dates. This would make it easy for you and each person to see what is on their list.

When they mark a Card as complete, they either archive it or move it to a Completed list. 

An alternative is use a checklist on the task. There would be a line in the checklist for each person. For instance, the card would be "Read and sign the new policy by XX date". Then you would have a checklist with each person's name. As each person reads/signs, they would check their box. When all of the boxes are checked, you would have a completed task. It isn't the same as assignment, but it means creating a single card for the task.

Thank you Derek!

Both suggestions are great.

0 votes
Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2019

@Emily Valbonesi 

as far i know , Due date is related to the card not to the task. you need to mark the each of your team task as "complete".

if any body update the status of the Card/Task it will be displayed for every team members assigned to the board.

That makes sense.

So would there be a way to assign the same task to multiple people, and track their completion progress individually?

Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2019

This article about "Assigning people and due dates to specific checklist items" will be more helpful 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events