Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Labels being added with the use of Shortcut Keyboard Keys

Lynne March 10, 2022

When I have a card open, I noticed if I accidentally click on a number on my keyboard, a label will be applied to the card. How can I disable this feature?

This can pose a problem because when someone is filling out a custom field while the rules are still executing, it boots them out of the custom field they're trying to enter data into, and instead of entering data; different labels, dates, etc. are being applied to the card unintentionally which can cause a lot of errors. 

1 answer

1 vote
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2022

Hi @Lynne ! For the moment, there is no way to customize or disable keyboard shortcuts. It would be a great feature, though! You can always reach out to Trello directly to submit a feature request :)

This can pose a problem because when someone is filling out a custom field while the rules are still executing, it boots them out of the custom field

So do the rules mean that the cursor gets removed from the custom field while someone is typing? What rules are being executed out of interest? 

Lynne March 29, 2022

The reason why I brought this to the attention of the community is because as someone is attempting to fill out a custom field, Trello kicks them out of typing in the text box, or entering the number, or selecting from the drop-down, because it's still executing rules. You have to wait for all rules to execute, THEN fill-out custom fields. Otherwise, if you attempt to fill out the custom field while rules are executing, it takes you out of the custom field but keeps the card open; however, by pressing random buttons, letters, or numbers while the card is open will create shortcuts such as adding/eliminating a label to the card.

This is a real problem!

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2022

@Lynne what rules are being executed? Can you make them conditional on if certain custom fields are populated? So if the trigger is "when a card is added to a board", instead, it could be "when a card with all custom fields completed is added to the board", or "when a card with X custom field set is added to the board" - the latter could be based on the field that is typically populated last. That way, the automation needs to wait for a specific point before firing so it doesn't disrupt what the team is doing. 

Lynne April 5, 2022

No, there is no way to create a "workaround," nor do I want to. It doesn't matter which rules are executed, it is happening when trying to fill out each custom field on every board. 

It's as if you have to make sure no one is doing anything in Trello while the rules are executing otherwise it'll cause disruptions in the running of commands, even if they are working on another card entirely. It's as if Trello can only handle one thing at a time, and you have to wait for an extended period to ensure all rules have run their course, THEN you can try to fill out a custom field, then wait an exaggerated time again to fill out the following custom field, and so on. Key-in information, and wait...

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2022

There isn't the option right now to disable or reconfigure shortcuts, so the only advice I can offer is to rethink how and when rules are executed. Happy to offer suggestions on how to approach this, but if you're not open to changing things, I'm not sure what else I can offer!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events